S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

DIY Brake Ducting

Old 05-07-2001, 03:40 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gregstevens
King's solution is to cut the backing plate (heat shield?) inside the rotor, then the tube is welded on the backing plate...
There is no reason you have to cut anything (on the backing plate) or weld. There are vent slots directed to the rotor eye, and nuts and bolts can be used to hold a duct reciever. There is more than one way to accomplish the task.

[Edited by cdelena on 05-07-2001 at 06:39 AM]
Old 05-07-2001, 05:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I talked to King last week they said work was progressing on the front ducting kit. CF and fiber versions will be available. They were hoping to have them out in the next month or two (6-8 weeks).
Old 05-07-2001, 06:41 AM
Banned

IMHO, why do you need to spend the money for CF ducts? Seems like a waste of money to me. Plastic works just fine for this task.
Old 05-07-2001, 07:07 AM

Plastic would probably work fine, but in low quanity, plastic is not cost effective. Injection molds for plastic can cost a bundle, $30,000+ just for the mold.

King is making an FRP version as well, I would think it should be quite a bit cheaper than the CF one.

It would be great if they would add a removable plug at the entrance of the ducts. I'd like to prevent water a debris getting into the system when not on the track.
Old 05-07-2001, 10:21 AM
Banned

I'm no materials expert, but the ducts used on my car from King look like plastic (Scott - help).

As for covers or grills on the ducts, I must ask why? Do you think that water or rocks or whatever don't get to the brakes under normal circumstances?

My $.02
Old 05-07-2001, 11:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

usually don't see grills over the brake ducts, but I can see why there is a concern. normal debris will get in the brakes, but with the ducts, you are literally taking all of that debris and guiding it in to directly hit your brakes. Of course, a small grill will stop some of it, but the big stuff, I dont think I come across quarter-sized rocks that would fly up in there on normal or abnormal conditions. well, there was the incident off-roading, but that's not going to throw rocks up in the ducts.

I personally wouldn't want covers, but to each his/or her own.
Old 05-07-2001, 11:17 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Actually the duct has to take a couple of hard turns to get to the right place so it is unlikely any sizable debris will make it to the brake.. but if it does it will simply sit on the grill at the backing plate. Water has plenty of exits so I do not think it is a concern. Mine have gone thousands of road miles and a number of track days without incident.
Old 05-07-2001, 11:27 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't POSSIBLY imagine that some kind of rock or "debris" could ever EVER make it all the INTO the tube, around the bend and then SOMEHOW stiking the rotor surface...!

There would have to be a special alignment of the planets, serious cosmic gravitational forces at work and some of the worst luck in the history of man for such a thing to happen...

In other words, its likelihood is about 1/1,000,000,000,000...

But you sure wouldn't want to be around for the one time in a trillion!

Please, there is a bend in the tubing...it would take an act of God for something to be able to maintain any real velocity around the bend in the tubing to do any kind of damage to the rotor. Additionally, if somehow, a rock or other "debris" does somehow manage to find its way into the tube, it's more likely that it would keep going towards the rear of the car...

What am I trying to say? There's absolutely indisputably irrefutably nothing to worry about...unless you are like my beloved Grandmother, who worries about EVERYTHING! Please!

Old 05-07-2001, 11:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gregstevens
[B]I can't POSSIBLY imagine that some kind of rock or "debris" could ever EVER make it all the INTO the tube, around the bend and then SOMEHOW stiking the rotor surface...!
Old 05-07-2001, 05:32 PM

Its just mesh that I have painted black. It actually kinda makes is less noticable. The mesh is really on there just to keep grass bugs and other bebris out of the cooling tube. If stuff does get piles in there you may never know. If I had a digital camera I would take a picture.

Quick Reply: DIY Brake Ducting