S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

DIY brake Bleeding

Old 06-19-2008, 10:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by an2ny,Jun 19 2008, 09:51 AM
If I unbolt the caliper or disconnect the line would that make it easier or faster to do the gravity bleed?
There is no need to remove the caliper. I don't see why you would remove the line because thats where the fluid is going thru. So to answer your question, No it won't make it easier nor faster.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=vincewchan,Jun 19 2008, 02:17 PM] There is no need to remove the caliper.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by stealthx32,Jun 19 2008, 11:01 AM
I think he means remove it off the caliper and hang it off the flex line so you get more force on the fluid. In theory, yeah it's faster, but the amount is probably negligible. You definitely can't unbolt the lines though, because the the caliper holds fluid as well. Once you unbolt the line, you introduce air into the caliper.
Yeah,

Thanks
Old 06-23-2008, 05:53 AM

I've only had my MY2000 car for a couple of months. AFAIK, the brake fluid has never been changed on this car. I'm in the process of changing all the fluids and decided to try using this gravity bleed method for the S2000. I have a Motive pressure bleeder, but the cap doesn't fit on the S2000 brake fluid resevoir.

The gravity method is slow! Took about 4 hours total, mainly due to my RF caliper bleeding very slowly - much slower than the other corners. I followed the procedure outlined above, but my RF was so slow, I bled the other corners while the RF caliper was still open. I used ATE Blue.

So, my tweak on this method is to bleed more than one corner at a time. I can't think of a problem with doing it this way. In fact, it could go much faster if you bleed all four corners at the same time.

Next time, though, I'm going to use my pressure bleeder (after rebuilding the front calipers - I think the RF bleeder was plugged up). The problem that I see with the gravity method on an older car, is that you aren't suspending the crud in the system. I think pressure bleeding will flush out more of the small particulates.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:22 AM

can anybody answer a question I have?

been trying to do this method but for some reason the only one that fluids come out of is the front passenger side brake, the rest dont do anything when I open the valve, anybody got a clue as to why?
Old 09-11-2008, 08:19 PM
Banned

Speedbleeders....screw this gravity stuff
Old 09-18-2008, 07:17 PM

Ok, so I just tried this method and I don't think it worked:

Sucked out all the ATE from the BMS....refilled it to the top with fresh fluid. Started with FR, stuck tube on and cracked it open. After about 30 sec...the tube filled up with about an inch of blue fluid. Waited 10min and fluid in blue stayed at around the inch mark. Fluid in BMS barely goes down.

Worked CCW, and same result each time. About an inch of blue fluid filled the tube about an inch, and BMS level barely dropped. I topped off the BMS. I ended up only using about 1/5 of the can, mostly from refilling the BMS after sucking the old fluid out.

Brake pedal didn't as rock hard as Billman described. What am I doing wrong??
Old 10-01-2008, 11:13 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am a newbie to brake upkeep. Tried Billman's gravity bleed method last night. Seemed to work out great for me. Useful that I used the ate super blue. That way I was sure the old was out the new was in. Can use the ate 200 next time for the same reference. Observations include: Allow some time, took me about three hours for all for wheels. One man job no problem, keeps you and the wife happier. 3/8 OD by 1/4 ID flexible tubing really helpful. Got clear at Home Depot. Seems sometimes like noting is coming out but every time I closed or moved the tubing the force of gravity showed it's presence. Pedal feel is fantastic. Patience is a virtue with this method. Won't hesitate to use again
Old 10-01-2008, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by pgss2k,Oct 1 2008, 12:13 PM
I am a newbie to brake upkeep. Tried Billman's gravity bleed method last night. Seemed to work out great for me. Useful that I used the ate super blue. That way I was sure the old was out the new was in. Can use the ate 200 next time for the same reference. Observations include: Allow some time, took me about three hours for all for wheels. One man job no problem, keeps you and the wife happier. 3/8 OD by 1/4 ID flexible tubing really helpful. Got clear at Home Depot. Seems sometimes like noting is coming out but every time I closed or moved the tubing the force of gravity showed it's presence. Pedal feel is fantastic. Patience is a virtue with this method. Won't hesitate to use again
Old 10-07-2008, 08:58 PM

seems like 2004 s2k's are having some problem with the gravity method,

any of you 2004 guys done this method successfully?

Thanks

Quick Reply: DIY brake Bleeding