S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

DIY brake Bleeding

Old 01-19-2008, 06:17 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Passenger. It's from the POV of the driver.
Old 03-23-2008, 03:34 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I replaced my front calipers with some rebuilts. Since i have to open the lines, I also replaced my old SS lines with a set I have had for a couple of years(NIB). I left the rear calipers and lines alone. They have SpeedBleeders in them.

I elected to give the gravity bleed a try. I'm assuming that because the calipers didn't have any fluid in them, I had to have my son do the traditional "pumpin" to get fluid into them. After that, I followed Bill's suggestion of RF, LF, LR, RR.

The fronts dripped and dripped. When I go to the rears, no dice. I again had my son pump the the pedal to possibly start the flow. Nope. It seems the gravity bleed doesn't like the SpeedBleeders. When I got to the RR, I still had to put new pads(the LR was done a couple of days ago). Holy poop! Getting the piston to turn was the hardest I've ever encountered. I hope this is a testament to the partial gravity bleed.

After running a can of long-opened Gold through the lines, I opened a fresh can of Blue and started the process again. I still had some air escaping when starting the process again. Not sure what to make of that. I won't be driving the car until maybe Wednesday, but definitely Friday at the track. I'll be sure to post up my impressions.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FF2Skip,Mar 23 2008, 03:34 PM
I replaced my front calipers with some rebuilts. Since i have to open the lines, I also replaced my old SS lines with a set I have had for a couple of years(NIB). I left the rear calipers and lines alone. They have SpeedBleeders in them.

I elected to give the gravity bleed a try. I'm assuming that because the calipers didn't have any fluid in them, I had to have my son do the traditional "pumpin" to get fluid into them. After that, I followed Bill's suggestion of RF, LF, LR, RR.

The fronts dripped and dripped. When I go to the rears, no dice. I again had my son pump the the pedal to possibly start the flow. Nope. It seems the gravity bleed doesn't like the SpeedBleeders. When I got to the RR, I still had to put new pads(the LR was done a couple of days ago). Holy poop! Getting the piston to turn was the hardest I've ever encountered. I hope this is a testament to the partial gravity bleed.

After running a can of long-opened Gold through the lines, I opened a fresh can of Blue and started the process again. I still had some air escaping when starting the process again. Not sure what to make of that. I won't be driving the car until maybe Wednesday, but definitely Friday at the track. I'll be sure to post up my impressions.
I thought it was bad to have a can of brake fluid open for an extended period of time due to the fact that it soaks up water in the atmosphere (I work on helocopters and I know we don't do that)
Old 03-24-2008, 03:57 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GRIP,Mar 24 2008, 04:30 AM
I thought it was bad to have a can of brake fluid open for an extended period of time due to the fact that it soaks up water in the atmosphere (I work on helocopters and I know we don't do that)
Yes, it is. I only had one can of Gold- already opened. I had Blue in the system. I had one can of unopened Blue. I used the Gold to completely flush, and then followed it with the Blue to completely flush again.

Since I only had two track events on the fluid, it wasn't so dirty/discolored as to be able to tell the difference between old Blue/new Blue. Also, the opened Gold can wasn't left "open." It had its seal broke some time ago, but had its cap on and was inside a Zip-Loc bag.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:45 AM

ahhhhhh.......makes sense.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Apr 24 2007, 11:58 AM
1934 Ash Ave, Glasgow MT, USA.
You are killing me. I've been around there and they are lucky to have any brand brake fuid...
Old 03-24-2008, 12:05 PM

Just did mine today. I had always had someone pump the brakes... but decided to try the gravity bleed method since no one was here to help me.

I found the gravity bleed method does not use as much fluid. It is much easier to do and you just have to be patient. Brake pedal feel is stiff and overall it only took me over an hour to do it. I made sure to use a turkey baster to remove all old fluid first.

I was going to bleed the clutch, but the bleeder valve is in a position that doesn't allow the hose to stay on.. What did you guys do? So instead I just used a turkey baster to remove all fluid and put new fluid in.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i tried the gravity bleed, and i'm not trying to question billman's credibility, skill, or methods/procedures, BUT it just didnt work for me. the fluid wouldnt come out and it wanted to go BACK into the caliper.

yes, i had the master cylinder open

at the end of the day i had to go with the pumping method
Old 03-24-2008, 01:02 PM

You know what? I thought my fluid wasn't come out either. You will see in the tube that the fluid comes out to about 4 inches and it doesn't show any more. but if you lift the end of the tube from your container it is actually dripping slowly.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i guess i just needed visual feedback of the tubes filling up. but i know what you mean, i only saw my fluid about 4 inches into the tube. my dad kept telling me i'm re-introducing air into the system...

Quick Reply: DIY brake Bleeding