S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

DIY brake Bleeding

Old 01-12-2011, 06:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you pressure/power bleed the brakes, can you use the method that Billman posted as far as which areas to bleed first?

I would gravity bleed but I ordered a Motive power bleeder and going to try that first. I have very low patience and the gravity bleeding method would drive me nuts.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250,Apr 22 2007, 05:22 PM
I bottle of ATE Super Blue is surely enough to do the entire car. You'll use 3/4 -7/8 of the container.

By trial, I've found the best sequence is RF, LF, LR, RR.

Empty the master with a turkey baster.

Crack the right front bleeder, the level will start to drop. Get it a little lower, but not enough to suck air.

Fill the master to the very top with ATE blue.

Start with the right front bleeder. Attach a clear hose, and let it gravity bleed till it turns blue.

Repeat for the remaining wheels.

You'll have such a great brake pedal from the gravity bleed it will feel like the pedal is welded to the car

I have used this procedure on countless s2ks.
Any suggestions for a brake system that is off the car that will go back on? I am going to flush the lines that are on the car with air first, then reconnect everything.. but do I just start filling up everything and then do your procedure?
Old 06-17-2011, 09:58 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

I just used this method. Its like the slow drip method for coffee brewing, for the best flavour
Old 10-21-2011, 01:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ISSUE: Leaking Brake master Cylinder @ cap.

BACKGROUND: I had replaced pads, retracted pistons and sucked out some fluid so as to not spill and drove a round a few days. Found that the reservoir sock was wet and checked from where it was leaking, added fluid and cleaned the area with brake cleaner. Last night had the brake light on consistently till I would accel quick which meant it was just low. Checked again and it was near low level so I added fluid....today I check again and what do you know fluid has spilled again. it looks like it is coming straight from the cap. is this possible? It is not overflowing but it is the same fluid that the car came with.

POSSIBLE FIX:Read through this whole thread now for the second time and will be doing Billmans ATE SB Gravity bleed as a test to see if I have an issue with my fluid.

I open the floor to you all! :-)
Old 11-14-2011, 11:57 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250
I bottle of ATE Super Blue is surely enough to do the entire car. You'll use 3/4 -7/8 of the container.

By trial, I've found the best sequence is RF, LF, LR, RR.

Empty the master with a turkey baster.

Crack the right front bleeder, the level will start to drop. Get it a little lower, but not enough to suck air.

Fill the master to the very top with ATE blue.

Start with the right front bleeder. Attach a clear hose, and let it gravity bleed till it turns blue.

Repeat for the remaining wheels.

You'll have such a great brake pedal from the gravity bleed it will feel like the pedal is welded to the car

I have used this procedure on countless s2ks.
Billma is great as ever

how much time does it take?
Old 12-17-2011, 01:30 PM

I changed the front rotors and pads today and performed a gravity bleed for the first time today. Unfortunately my dumb**s decided to bleed the brakes in the wrong order. Instead of following Billman's order, I accidentally did LF, RF, RR, LR. Is there's going to be a major disadvantage to having done it in that order?
Old 12-17-2011, 06:37 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Originally Posted by berlina2ks2k
I changed the front rotors and pads today and performed a gravity bleed for the first time today. Unfortunately my dumb**s decided to bleed the brakes in the wrong order. Instead of following Billman's order, I accidentally did LF, RF, RR, LR. Is there's going to be a major disadvantage to having done it in that order?
it won't cause any issues, that's the recommended order listed in the service manual, I've done it both ways and they both seem fine.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:42 AM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

Starting with the RF allows more fluid to be drained from the master before new stuff is added. Theres a section in the front of the mater that cant be reached with a turkey baster or drain tool.

Did the LF yield the same result?
Old 12-19-2011, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250
Starting with the RF allows more fluid to be drained from the master before new stuff is added. Theres a section in the front of the mater that cant be reached with a turkey baster or drain tool.

Did the LF yield the same result?
All the brake lines cleared up after they were bled for a little bit and looked like fresh fluid by the time I closed the bleeder and moved to the next wheel. I didn't use Super Blue so it was a bit harder to tell but from what I saw it all seemed fine. Just wanted to double check.

Thanks!
Old 04-01-2012, 02:38 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Just did this and big props to Billman for the suggestion. Took about 2 hours, but I still have almost half a qrt. of ATE left over...time to do the DD too tomorrow

Quick Reply: DIY brake Bleeding