S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

DIY brake Bleeding

Old 07-02-2009, 02:36 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SgtB,Jun 2 2009, 01:40 PM
The stainless braid does nothing for wall rigidity. It's strictly for impact protection on the track. The problem is that it lets grit into the weave, and that slowly wears out the inner tubing. OEM brake lines have been 100% for decades.
Actually, there is a slight benefit, but unrecognizable by most. Also, many SS brakelines come with a plastic sheathing that protects against what you described. I wouldn't even consider installing any that did not have this plastic.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've tried the gravity method after a Wilwood BBK install and it did not work for me. I followed the procedures step by step after reading the post many times. I then tried the 2 person method on the front (Wilwood BBK), and found massive improvement. I have the car down now and will do a full bleed using the 2 person pump method this weekend. I have no idea why the gravity method didn't work.. maybe the new BBK did not work well with the gravity method. BTW, the stainless lines that came with my BBK (partshelper) had a flexible plastic tubing over the stainless lines to protect it from the elements.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:26 AM

Received 228 Likes on 143 Posts

It's my understanding from the rest of the thread that everything needs to be primed first by pumping before gravity bleeding will work. I.E. you can't use this method when replacing lines or calipers.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:40 PM

Arghhhh!!! Thanks, I wasn't able to lacate this info prior to my install.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:56 AM

this honestly was taking way to long, so i pumped the brakes a few times while bending the hose up, no air backed in, cut the time in a fraction of how slow it was going.

morning test drive after an all night at the garage... very nice.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:10 PM

im having some trouble bleeding my brakes. i consider myself pretty well experienced in this but i seem to be having some trouble getting the pedal to even feel as good as it did before i switched fluid.

i recently removed my calipers to paint them, and get at them better. i re-installed everything exactly how they were. i began to do the traditional pumping method. i would say i did every corner at least 5 times, in the order the service manual stated. i then tried the gravity bleed, only to find the pedal still felt the same.

im kind of out of ideas at this point. im beginning to wonder if maybe i am not cracking the bleeder enough? fluid did come out slowly during the gravity bleed, but did not flow. it stopped after it flowed about an inch or so into the hose. any ideas?
Old 08-04-2009, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by a_zepeda926,Aug 4 2009, 04:10 PM
im having some trouble bleeding my brakes. i consider myself pretty well experienced in this but i seem to be having some trouble getting the pedal to even feel as good as it did before i switched fluid.

i recently removed my calipers to paint them, and get at them better. i re-installed everything exactly how they were. i began to do the traditional pumping method. i would say i did every corner at least 5 times, in the order the service manual stated. i then tried the gravity bleed, only to find the pedal still felt the same.

im kind of out of ideas at this point. im beginning to wonder if maybe i am not cracking the bleeder enough? fluid did come out slowly during the gravity bleed, but did not flow. it stopped after it flowed about an inch or so into the hose. any ideas?
Just a turn or 3 off the bleeder should be fine. It'll look like it's not flowing (because it's going very slowly) but it will take time. Are you alternating different brake fluids with different colors? If you are, you'll see the flow rate much more easily.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After driving my buddies ap1 the other day and realizing his pedal feel was much stiffer than mine, I decided to flush/gravity bleed my brakes. I did it in the order on the first page of this thread. Pedal feels the same. Any ideas of what to try now? Went through 2 bottles of fluid to make sure I got it all flushed.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by SEVNT4,Aug 5 2009, 12:01 AM
Just a turn or 3 off the bleeder should be fine. It'll look like it's not flowing (because it's going very slowly) but it will take time. Are you alternating different brake fluids with different colors? If you are, you'll see the flow rate much more easily.
yes. i put in ate blue, and it is all new fluid. im thinking since i took off the calipers and let the entire system run dry and suck up air, it may have effected things. i bled them again today, and still the same, its quite spongy feeling. im out of ideas.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Switched so SS lines and cracked the RF bleeder to begin this process. 30 min of bleeding and refilling the master cylinder It still had bubbles coming out constantly. The pedal feel is mushy. I then drove it, activated ABS a few times and then bled it using the 2 person method. Didn't see any air bubbles, but the pedal is still mushy...? I'm about to just live with the mushy pedal. (I figured air was getting in around the threads of the bleeder screw, thus was why there was a never ending flow of fluid/air bubbles)

Quick Reply: DIY brake Bleeding