S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

DIY brake Bleeding

Old 05-31-2009, 07:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ZDan,May 31 2009, 05:48 PM
Flexible tube from the stock bleed screw to a catch bottle on the ground.
Loosen bleed screw.
Pump pump pump at the brake pedal until the end of the reservoir being depleted is nearly empty.
Fill reservoir with fresh fluid.
Repeat until I see fresh fluid coming out of the caliper, then a few pumps more for good measure.
Tighten bleed screw.
Repeat for the other corners of the car.
That's what I've always done too. The tube sitting in the fluid is an airlock. You just have to watch the MC reservoir closely. My brakes are rock solid.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Wombo,May 31 2009, 09:44 PM
Because some guy said Gravity Bleed will make ur brake paddle feel like rock solid....

But you didn't exactly answer the question....
The initial engagement is solid. If the brakes have air in them the engagement is spongy. The ABS system doesn't do anything to the brakes until it kicks in. Once that happens, air in the system isn't an issue because your pushing the brakes too hard to begin with.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oops, yes "pedal" LOL. Sorry about my spelling.. it's definitly not one of my strong points..

Thanks for the feedback on the ABS and pedal feel, i shell flash the fluid again and see if it improves.

I do think the brake engagement felt different could caused by multiple issues:
1. I didn't try it with my original bads. So the new DS2500 pads may not be gripping as well as oem pads when they are cold.
2. I don't have braided lines yet, so might be caused by the OEM line it self.

When I pump the pedal while the car isn't on, it is really solid. But when the engine starts then it softens....
Old 05-31-2009, 09:11 PM

OEM lines are better than braided.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by SgtB,May 31 2009, 09:11 PM
OEM lines are better than braided.
0.0 Really? U mean in terms of progression or solid feeling?

I've always done braided line on my bike.. good for the racetrack.... But then I'm probably comparing apples to bananna.... CBR1000RR is probably a little bit more track forcused...
Old 06-01-2009, 01:45 AM

Quote "So I decided to go ahead.. Mine is Right Hand Drive. Did RF, LF, RR and LR"

Ive just changed one of my front calipers.

I was under the impression that for RHD cars bleeding order is :- RF, LF, LR, RR.
basically work counter-clockwise.

I initially went for the gravity method but kept getting air bubbles so had to use the two person punping method as well.

Still not rock hard tho. Think Im going to try and do another gravity bleed at the weekend.

Oh yeah when I fitted braided hoses it was a right pain trying to get the air out. From what Ive read its happend to a few peeps after fitting and people say it will take a few bleeds to get all the air out.

Kempy
Old 06-01-2009, 02:49 AM

I just did another bleed. two man this time. now rock solid.

(Rock solid when engine isn't on - once the engine is on brake assist takes away some of the solid feel.)
Old 06-02-2009, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Wombo,Jun 1 2009, 12:31 AM
0.0 Really? U mean in terms of progression or solid feeling?

I've always done braided line on my bike.. good for the racetrack.... But then I'm probably comparing apples to bananna.... CBR1000RR is probably a little bit more track forcused...
The stainless braid does nothing for wall rigidity. It's strictly for impact protection on the track. The problem is that it lets grit into the weave, and that slowly wears out the inner tubing. OEM brake lines have been 100% for decades.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:23 PM

Received 228 Likes on 143 Posts

Would recommend this DIY again!! A++++++!!!

In all seriousness, I had my doubts. I don't think it was clear that it just literally drips. I kept futzing with the tube trying to get a steady stream. For anyone expecting what I was -- don't. Just grab a beer and let it drip.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:25 PM

Received 228 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by SgtB,Jun 2 2009, 01:40 PM
The problem is that it lets grit into the weave, and that slowly wears out the inner tubing.
^^ What he said. The only thing I can add is that even the OEM lines should be treated as a maintenance item as well. Most people over look the brake lines themselves. They too seem to be subject to heat cycling over time.

Quick Reply: DIY brake Bleeding