S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Disconnected Comptech SC bypass valve

Old 02-09-2004, 01:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by GaryRudolph
The Vortech is specifically CA CARB legal. It has CA CARB numbers written all over it, and I believe it came with documentation to show a Smog inspector.
I though so
I don't know where you guys got the information from but I've always understood
CARB = California Air Regulation Board
CARB is one of the strictest emission law in the US. Thus if you pass CARB, you will pass all the laws in the other states. *I might be wrong thouh *

I don't actually know how CARB is tested but I've been told it's roughly a 12 points test (I think this person was BS me though ). Therefore from this I can conclude that atmospheric BOV is probably legal according to CARB. So you guys MAY got the wrong info.

Austblue, the regulations in Australia are different and much more stricter than CARB. The cars/kits are the same as you are awared. The test is different; it's a full cycle emission test in Australia. The regulation is on the basis of the year of manufacture or imported date. The newer the car, the stricter the emission allowed. For the S2k its will follow the A7.....regulation (I forgot now ...it's at my workplace if you are really keen to know....I did a little bit of research a while a go when I was trying to get my car certified). No air is allowed to pass out any where beside the exhaust with this regulation. Beside this point, there is no way in the world that the vortech or comptech kit will pass our emission test unmodified. I've seen a commodore with a vortech sc kit that has no blades in the blower ie dummie blower failed the test The poor guy had to pay $5K for the test though
Old 02-09-2004, 01:30 AM

Originally posted by cdelena
It is just compressed air, why can't you blow it off to the same place you got it? Not like you are blowing off exhaust or a mixture, what am I missing here?

yes, and technically this air that you let out already passed through your filter so the air that comes out is filtered air
Old 02-09-2004, 10:44 AM

In talking with Shad, designer of the Comptech kit, he mentioned that CARB certification costs upwards of $10K or more and takes several months. Of primary concern is satifaction of a law or regulation that states that any air must leave by the tail pipe once it enters the engine (read air filter). This means that nothing can vent to the atmosphere.
Old 02-09-2004, 11:46 AM

Hmm, I wonder how Vortech is getting away with it then. It is CARB certified. I wonder if it has to do with being as simple as putting a filter on the blow off valve. Or maybe they just have some ins in the process....