S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Disconnect battery when charging?

Old 06-29-2011, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disconnect battery when charging?

My battery has become weaker and weaker as time progresses, I have recharged the battery several times using the low power setting (2 watts). The owners manual states that a battery should be disconnected while charging to prevent damage to the alternator. This is a big PITA to disconnect the battery each time I charge it. Does anyone know if the alternator will REALLY be damaged if battery is not disconnected. Thanks
Old 06-30-2011, 09:28 AM

sounds like you need a new battery. maybe a new alternator too since it seems its not recharging the battery
Old 06-30-2011, 09:54 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just go to the parts store and get them tested for free.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:56 AM

I use a bettery tender and don't disconnect the battery. It actually has a quick disconnect harness with ring terminals hookedup to the battery posts. The car sits most of the winter so I use that method to keep the battery health up
Old 06-30-2011, 02:50 PM

I have had battery and alternator tested, both tested okay, although it was after driving freeway for 30 min. There seems to be a power drain someplace, I have since turned off dome lights and am not turning on immibilizer with the key fob to see if that makes a dif. anyone else have problems with power draining off battery? thanks
Old 07-03-2011, 06:00 PM

I was having the same problem you where, (06 model) original battery and if you did not drive the car for a few weeks, (I know that is bad in so many ways) the battery would die. I use a charger to recharge the battery and have had no problems. I did replace the battery and have not had to use the charger. The battery in the S is very small so if there is any parasitic loss you will find that you have a dead battery after to long. If your battery is more than 3 years old you are probably due for a new one.

Good luck
Old 07-03-2011, 06:17 PM

Received 78 Likes on 31 Posts

You don't say how long your car sits between drives or if you take short trips but if these things can affect how well your battery gets charged. And since there are some parasitic losses (door locks, clock, security system if you have one) your battery may not get fully charged between trips. Besides possible starting issues, it can also reduce the life of your battery.

You can hook up a trickle charger without disconnecting the battery. Whenever my car sits for more than a day, I have my car hooked up to a BatteryMINDer. It's a trickle charger with a desulphator. I replaced my original battery this past winter, which means I got 8 years out of my original battery.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by slalom44
You don't say how long your car sits between drives or if you take short trips but if these things can affect how well your battery gets charged. And since there are some parasitic losses (door locks, clock, security system if you have one) your battery may not get fully charged between trips. Besides possible starting issues, it can also reduce the life of your battery.

You can hook up a trickle charger without disconnecting the battery. Whenever my car sits for more than a day, I have my car hooked up to a BatteryMINDer. It's a trickle charger with a desulphator. I replaced my original battery this past winter, which means I got 8 years out of my original battery.

I also use a Batteryminder if the car will sit for more than a week (it's a bit of a garage queen). Seems to work well with no apparent necessity to disconnect the battery.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:44 AM

Thanks for all the replies - I am no longer using the OEM remote and my battery has stayed at 12.6 volts for the past week without having to be charged. I drive 300 miles a week, and do not have the factory alarm.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:26 AM
Banned

How long does it take the battery to be drained to the point of slow cranking/no cranking?

Quick Reply: Disconnect battery when charging?