S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Disappointing Dyno and Weird Curves...HELP XVIPER, UL

Old 02-13-2004, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks that way but it was working . They tested everything over and over (VTEC oil pressure, VTEC solenoid, timing, ect.) and Honda could not get it right or even admit that anything was wrong. When I went elsewhere and got the valves adjusted that fixed my problem. Back to the threads point. Are any of Tenblade's mods decreasing his horsepower or is his car simply not as strong as other cars. Tenblade. . . .how is your car behaving during everyday driving? Does it seem good otherwise besides your dyno reading lower than you expected? Have you taken it to the track and got any 1/4 mile times with your mods? Have you driven or rode in any other S2000s lately to compare it to? Or was the garages exhaust hose partially to blame for slightly restricting the exhaust flow?
Old 02-13-2004, 12:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hygiene boy et al,
thanks for the input. To answer some questions; the car feels fine driving everyday, idle is smooth and I keep up or pull on the guys I drive with (my gearing). That is why I was so shocked at the low numbers b/c mt car feels soo much stronger. I have some Ik24 plugs ordered. I am going to install the plugs, compression test, and re-dyno without the hoses. I think if I was generating enough pressure to blow that hose off twice, then it was restricting the flow from the exhaust.
Old 02-13-2004, 12:22 PM

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

It wasn't the valve tolerances, you had a different problem. Note that your curves are identical up to about 6k rpms. That's the non-vtec cam. Then, the old dyno shows a solid spike at 6k when VTEC engages. The post-replacement plot shows power dribbling away when VTEC "should" have engaged. Looks to me like you stayed on the non-VTEC cams the whole time. Maybe the car was low on oil when the 2nd dyno was taken and VTEC couldn't engage? How many miles did you have on the new short block? We all know they consume oil....

Edit: added later....
[QUOTE]Originally posted by hygiene boy
It looks that way but it was working . They tested everything over and over (VTEC oil pressure, VTEC solenoid, timing, ect.) and Honda could not get it right or even admit that anything was wrong. When I went elsewhere and got the valves adjusted that fixed my problem.
Old 02-13-2004, 12:23 PM

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

Maybe one of the TDC sensors wasn't hooked up right and the car was pulling timing? What would the ECU do if a TDC sensor didn't report? Removing and reinstalling these as part of pulling the valve cover could have fixed it.
Old 02-13-2004, 01:05 PM

I didn't watch Honda do any of the work but the mustang mechanic did all the work in front of me and checked oil pressure and power tested the VTEC solenoid in front of me. He showed me by wiggling and rattling just how loose the valves were before he adjusted them to spec. Prior to the last valve adjustment at 6000rpms there was a distinct tone change where VTEC engaged but then power dropped off. When the mustang mechanic first dynoed the car he thought the same thing that's why we checked and rechecked VTEC operation and it proved to be operating normally. If the car's valves are so outta whack as you go higher in rpm's how will the car ingest and exhaust air efficiently? Whatever the reason, my car runs very strong and the valves were indeed in need of adjustment. My main point of this is that I'm not very impressed with my experience with Honda mechanics.
Old 02-15-2004, 03:26 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Hegiene,

The red plot is without VTEC. There is no way your VTEC was engaging on that plot. Notice how your AFRs went up with the old plot at VTEC, and wend down with the new plot. Loose valves will cause a much more drastic power reduction pre-VTEC than they will post-VTEC.
Old 02-15-2004, 05:01 PM

My car was crap, got the valves adjusted now it's great , hopefully the little gremlins in my engine got blown out the exhaust for good!
Old 02-19-2004, 01:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good news and bad news:
Good- I did a compression test and hit 235 on all 4.
Bad- I busted one my new 10 dollar plugs trying to gap it!