S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Dirty Clutch Fluid

Old 06-17-2005, 07:41 AM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Dirty Clutch Fluid

My clutch fluid reservoir is constantly getting dirty. Within 2000 miles of swapping the fluid out, it
Old 06-17-2005, 07:46 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The slave cylinder is lined with a soft black material that sloughs off and contaminates the fluid.
Old 06-17-2005, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by cdelena,Jun 17 2005, 10:46 AM
The slave cylinder is lined with a soft black material that sloughs off and contaminates the fluid.
Is the dirty fluid normal then?

When I've gone to S2KI group drives, none of the other S2000 drivers are experiencing this. Should the slave cylinder be swapped out then?

I called my dealer and am bringing the car in on Monday. They (Herb Chambers) have treated me well so far, so I have high expectations for them to resolve this.

I do feel a performance difference after swapping the fluid.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to know also.. mine is dirty right now and the engagement feels a little weird. It's been around 9 months since I've changed it and I'm about to again.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you just changing the resevoir fluid, or are you doing a bleed?

Without a bleed you are leaving the fluid in the slave cylinder that is probably the most cruddy. This will contaminate the resevoir fluid in no time.

Flushed mine @ 2500 miles after 1 year. It was the color of maple syrup.

Just another little S2000 wrinkle like the differential/transmission fluids-need to be changed at about 1/3 the factory interval for peak performance.

Don't bother with the dealer, everything will be 'normal' since you're within the factory limits, or they'll tell you its a 'wear' item not covered by warranty.

Regards,
BD
Old 06-17-2005, 10:34 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

As has been mentioned before on this forum, "dirty" looking clutch fluid doesn't mean it's bad. Only a test strip can tell you for sure. The clutch fluid in this car will always look dirty very soon after a fluid change. It's just the nature of it. You can drive yourself nuts if you insist on having clean clutch fluid. Those who say they don't have this issue is either not taking the cap off and having a good look or they have a magic clutch system. If you are doing periodic flushes and the clutch works well for you, don't worry about it.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Boston Duce,Jun 17 2005, 12:08 PM
Are you just changing the resevoir fluid, or are you doing a bleed?
I am just changing the reservoir, not bleeding. I don't have the tools to bleed it. It's not a hassle for me to bring to the dealer. I don't think they'll charge me for whatever they do.

I've changed the reservoir, let it stand a week and then did it again and still get dirty in no time. I don't think it's the same crap each time, but new stuff getting created. The car is 2.5 years old with 25k, so how much wear could there be? If the dealer says they want to charge me on something, I'll re-address the issue.

There's no reason for the fluid to do this in the first place.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:08 AM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol,Jun 17 2005, 01:39 PM
I am just changing the reservoir, not bleeding. I don't have the tools to bleed it. It's not a hassle for me to bring to the dealer. I don't think they'll charge me for whatever they do.

I've changed the reservoir, let it stand a week and then did it again and still get dirty in no time. I don't think it's the same crap each time, but new stuff getting created. The car is 2.5 years old with 25k, so how much wear could there be? If the dealer says they want to charge me on something, I'll re-address the issue.

There's no reason for the fluid to do this in the first place.
Is it me or did you not read what everyone wrote? Why bother posting if you don't want to hear/read the opinions of people who know why the problem is occuring?
Old 06-17-2005, 12:49 PM

I'll have to look at some other S2000's and see if they are in the same predicament. They said that they thought my clutch fluid looked dark, but I didn
Old 06-17-2005, 05:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am tired of this routine as well.

Has anyone tried Gunk Hydraulic Clutch Fluid? Is there anything special about this stuff?

Quick Reply: Dirty Clutch Fluid