S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Dipsticking reading unclear

Old 11-27-2014, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dipsticking reading unclear

First off, I just bought my 2nd ap1 about 3 months ago. I am aware that ap1's love to consume alot of oil. After buying my 01' with 136k miles I immediately changed the oil.
The previous owner was using Mobil 1 and I have heard that is the worst oil to use on an s2000. I switched over to full syn Valvoline.

It has been roughly 2,000 miles since my last oil change. Last week I checked my dipstick when my car was at full operating temperature and I was about at the Low. Tonight, I just checked my oil. My car has been sitting for about 20 hours. When I went to check my oil, very little oil is even shown on the dipstick. Both sides of the dipstick barely even show oil at all. In the picture, there are 2 bubbles of oil. In the X hashes, there seems to be a very faint amount of oil maybe After trying multiple times, the picture below was the best result I could get in terms of the amount of oil on the dipstick.

I am leaking a very small bit of oil, the picture below will show.
Do I just not know how to properly get a solid reading on the dipstick or is my car really burning through oil alot

This picture is where I am leaking a small amount of oil
Old 11-27-2014, 06:04 PM
Community Organizer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You're low on oil

When you do an oil change and check the level it can be very hard to get an accurate reading because the oil is so clean. But after 2,000 miles the oil has darkened enough to get a clear reading so it is what it is. It looks like she is burning/leaking a lot of oil - top it up and monitor the level often.

Best readings are done after the engine has been off for a while, it should be right at full.

This link discusses the VTEC solenoid leak, good read. Although what you have circled the timing chain tensioner. There is an O ring in there that could be torn and the leak could be from that instead.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/782...d/page__st__50
Old 11-27-2014, 06:15 PM

Received 1,720 Likes on 1,025 Posts

You are low on oil.

You can use a paper towel to "see" the oil level if the oil is very transparent and clean. Always check both sides as you did. Nothing wrong with Mobil 1, urban myth. I use it exclusively without any issue at all. I do have an AP2 (09) but it seems AP1s go through oil faster especially as the miles add up.

Its hard to see in the picture but I think that might be the TCT or Vtec solenoid that has been known to leak through the electrical connector. Here is a current thread with that in the discussion:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/110...#entry23420152

Even though my oil level never changes a single X, I always check it before I drive it (not my DD).

BTW, you may want to reconsider filters and use an OEM oil filter.
Old 11-27-2014, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
You are low on oil.

You can use a paper towel to "see" the oil level if the oil is very transparent and clean. Always check both sides as you did. Nothing wrong with Mobil 1, urban myth. I use it exclusively without any issue at all. I do have an AP2 (09) but it seems AP1s go through oil faster especially as the miles add up.

Its hard to see in the picture but I think that might be the TCT or Vtec solenoid that has been known to leak through the electrical connector. Here is a current thread with that in the discussion:

Even though my oil level never changes a single X, I always check it before I drive it (not my DD).

I know im low on oil, but I feel like by the readings on the dipstick I have been getting tonight trying multiple times, it seems like I literally have no more oil. Just oil appearing on the very bottom of the dipstick has to mean i'm almost literally out of oil?
I have tried to get a better reading, but the picture that I posted was the best result of visual oil I could get.
Old 11-27-2014, 06:55 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Was your car running or was it cold and sitting for 20 hours? You can't get an accurate oil reading while the car is running. The car needs about 10 minutes after being parked for the oil to drain back down to the pan for an accurate reading.

Also, are you pushing the dipstick all the way back in (you need to push it back into storage position to get an accurate reading) ?

If the car was cold, and you did indeed push it all the way back in, you're 1.5-2.0 quarts low on oil which is very close to oil starvation. I would advise adding an entire quart and seeing if you can get a reading. If you're still unable to get a reading, add a second quart and check again. It's better to be 2 quarts over than under.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:13 PM

The number 1 rule for owning an Ap1 is to check the oil every time you fill up, if not, at least every 400 miles! On s2ki we see mechanically sound Ap1's burning up to 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles; there is no reason to be surprised if you are 1.5-2 quarts low. Of course the amount of oil burned varies depending on driving style and the type of oil used. Even after 5 or 10 minutes of shut down the oil level will be almost the same! Don't think that the dipstick is playing games or that oil smurfs are hiding your oil, it's simply LOW, so low that your dip stick is not getting a reading. Remember from the H|<><><><><>|L is exactly one quart. Anything from the L and below is KABOOM territory (I'm exaggerating a bit but don't risk it!).

It is not better to be over 2 quarts of oil than under. Both overfilling and under filling oil could cause catastrophic damages.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you know, I tried to tell people it really eats that much oil..

my " small bit of leak " was a lot more then expected..

this Ap2 engine I have in there now, still has oil to the full mark after several thousand miles, an just as hard driving as my old Ap1.. but, i'm Ap1 trained so I check it.. and smile.. and drive the chit out of it...

check it forever, or, plan to buy a new engine...

Old 11-27-2014, 08:54 PM

Received 320 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBang
Originally Posted by cosmomiller' timestamp='1417144549' post='23420324
You are low on oil.

I know im low on oil, but I feel like by the readings on the dipstick I have been getting tonight trying multiple times, it seems like I literally have no more oil. Just oil appearing on the very bottom of the dipstick has to mean i'm almost literally out of oil?
I have tried to get a better reading, but the picture that I posted was the best result of visual oil I could get.
You are about a quart low. There is nothing wrong with your dip stick, you do not have enough oil in the motor to get the proper reading on the dip stick. Put a half quart of oil in the car and then check it again, on both sides of the dipstick.
Old 11-28-2014, 12:22 AM

Received 3,770 Likes on 2,660 Posts

it looks like you have oil on the hashmarks but low oil at the base of the dipstick, so I see what you are referring to.

Never take the first reading when you pull the dipstick, pull it out , clean it, then re-insert and you may have to repeat it several times to get a consistent reading. Sometimes oil builds in the dipstick tube and you have to take several readings to get a consistent results. I've often thought about royal purple oil , that stuff is easy to read , lol. Though I run Redline oil and that starts out pretty dark right out of the bottle. Clean oil is hard to read, I often have to use a magnifying glass to be sure I'm seeing what I think I'm seeing, lol, the paper towel trick works as well as long as you keep the dipstick still when placing it on the paper.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:40 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How many quarts did you change the oil with? I've read a lot of people don't put enough to begin with.

Quick Reply: Dipsticking reading unclear