S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Dipping Revs and Hesitating On The Move PLZ HELP!

Old 03-10-2014, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AZfury
I really don't like how your air filter is just there right off the throttle body, it is prob. Heat soaking allot, have you had your valves adjusted at all since your over the 100k mark?
Understood. Will source an OEM airbox ASAP.

As for valve adjustment, I would guess they haven't been adjusted. The previous owner made no mention of it.

Would you mind explaining to me exactly what this involves and what effect it could be having on the car? Could this explain why it also sounds a bit 'tappetty' ?

Originally Posted by Bliss
+2 Oh my. Get an airbox friend. Try to find a oem used one. A picture is worth 1000 words. lol

In this case 2000.

If you can call the guy you bought the car from and see if he still has the airbox. If he does go and get it. Then kick him square in the balls.
As I just said to AZfury I'll get hold of a proper air intake ASAP. I must admit I had my concerns about it being sat so close to the engine myself.

I've contacted the guy I bought the car from a couple of times with different questions about the car. Let's just say he's been... 'unresponsive'. I think he could definitely use a kick in the balls!

Luckily I found a guy through eBay whose got most of an S2K he's breaking left. He posted a MAP sensor out to me today so I can try that? I'll tell him to stick the airbox in the post for me too!
Old 03-10-2014, 01:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good deal even a aftermarket cold air intake would be better than the mess you have. First thing first get the stuff you need back on the car.

Good luck im sure more people that know more will chime in soon.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:09 AM

A cheap spectre from autozone would be better than that thing dear lord
Old 03-11-2014, 12:08 PM

The zip tie around the MAP sensor is probably not an issue. Honda actually begun manufacturing the car without a zip tie and then made the zip tie a new Honda OEM available part for the car as the electrical connection was loose and made it a service bulletin/recall.

The PO just went to Home Depot and bought a neon pink set of zip ties and made it himself... but I still think it will function just as good as the OEM part? Here's the real part if you care.

It's part #14 in the diagram:
http://www.hondaauto...5=THROTTLE+BODY

That air filter/intake/whatever the hell that is makes me sick...
Old 03-11-2014, 12:11 PM

And what TPS did you buy? Last I heard you had to buy the whole assembly with it from Honda. Did you get a non-OEM replacement?
Old 03-11-2014, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by jkelley
The zip tie around the MAP sensor is probably not an issue. Honda actually begun manufacturing the car without a zip tie and then made the zip tie a new Honda OEM available part for the car as the electrical connection was loose and made it a service bulletin/recall.

The PO just went to Home Depot and bought a neon pink set of zip ties and made it himself... but I still think it will function just as good as the OEM part? Here's the real part if you care.

It's part #14 in the diagram:
http://www.hondaauto...5=THROTTLE+BODY

That air filter/intake/whatever the hell that is makes me sick...

Originally Posted by jkelley
And what TPS did you buy? Last I heard you had to buy the whole assembly with it from Honda. Did you get a non-OEM replacement?
Thanks for the info on the zip tied MAP sensor jkelley, I've got a 2nd hand MAP sensor coming in the post tomorrow anyway. Worth a try I suppose, always a chance it could be causing symptoms like this?

Indeed, sourcing an OEM airbox asap, I've used some aluminium piping to relocate that cone into some cleaner air for the time being.

The TPS I used came mounted on the throttle body of a donor AP1 that I've found. The same car that the MAP sensor I've bought, that will be here tomorrow is coming from :/
Old 03-11-2014, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by MikeHudson
Thanks for the info on the zip tied MAP sensor jkelley, I've got a 2nd hand MAP sensor coming in the post tomorrow anyway. Worth a try I suppose, always a chance it could be causing symptoms like this?

Indeed, sourcing an OEM airbox asap, I've used some aluminium piping to relocate that cone into some cleaner air for the time being.

The TPS I used came mounted on the throttle body of a donor AP1 that I've found. The same car that the MAP sensor I've bought, that will be here tomorrow is coming from :/
Some people disagree with what I'm about to say but I would take the MAP sensor off and spray some carb cleaner up in the little tube and let it sit for a little bit, then lightly blow it out with compressed air. I would repeat this a couple of times to free up any junk that may be up there (typically carbon deposits). I think some people say that this may mess with the sensor? Might want to browse a bit on it first.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:40 PM

had the same issues you were talking about what I did to fix it was the following...

-clean the IAC valve mentioned earlier with brake parts cleaner just follow the video does a pretty good job.....
-then do idle/ ecu relearn https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/index.php...&f=22&t=549159
-do this after you clear ECU with the fuse provided in the link above
*******"Honda Shop Manual recommends after start up to rev the motor to 3K and hold it until the fan kicks in and then let it idle for 5min. without counting the time the fans kick back on during those 5 minutes""******

what that does it resets and relearn correct timing and a/f ratios

you could try this to see if it helps.... I did this to fix my hesitations that i always had for months and would always come and go randomly especially when you WOT it and even at VTEC at 6k rpms it would kick until like 7000-7500 rpms and my car feels normal again finally but now need to change my valve gasket that went bad is leaking bad -.-
Old 03-12-2014, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by murd0x
had the same issues you were talking about what I did to fix it was the following...

-clean the IAC valve mentioned earlier with brake parts cleaner just follow the video does a pretty good job.....
-then do idle/ ecu relearn https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/index.php...&f=22&t=549159
-do this after you clear ECU with the fuse provided in the link above
*******"Honda Shop Manual recommends after start up to rev the motor to 3K and hold it until the fan kicks in and then let it idle for 5min. without counting the time the fans kick back on during those 5 minutes""******

what that does it resets and relearn correct timing and a/f ratios

you could try this to see if it helps.... I did this to fix my hesitations that i always had for months and would always come and go randomly especially when you WOT it and even at VTEC at 6k rpms it would kick until like 7000-7500 rpms and my car feels normal again finally but now need to change my valve gasket that went bad is leaking bad -.-

Thanks for this walk through Murd0x. The replacement MAP has just arrived, so I'm going to go and stick that on and see if that's a cure. If it's not, I'll have a go at your suggestion and I shall report back. Fingers crossed
Old 03-12-2014, 05:28 AM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

definitely do the valve adjustment if it hasnt been done. would be a good time to check for cracked retainers as well.

Quick Reply: Dipping Revs and Hesitating On The Move PLZ HELP!