S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Dino/mineral/conventional engine oil

Old 10-03-2006, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Dino/mineral/conventional engine oil

Do you guys approve of Mobil Clean 5000 for the use in a EDM '06?

+Does anyone know of any sites that ship internationally and sell engine oil? I haven't been able to find any.

Here are the specs, I'll hopefully be getting the 10W-30, if I can find a place to purchase it.
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS..._Clean_5000.asp (scroll down for extra details)
Old 10-03-2006, 11:27 AM

Oh joy, another "tell me what oil to use" thread.

Your post reads as though you are unable to find this stuff locally. I have no idea what the Mobil oil supply is like for markets outside the states but I know for a fact that German Castrol synthetic is a different formulation than what we get stateside. If you can't find Mobil Drive Clean in local supply just use another quality, brand name dino oil. Any Castrol or Shell product will work just fine. Why on earth would you look into getting the stuff shipped internationally if you can't just walk down the street and buy it locally? It's too much effort and I don't see anything special about your situation that would mandate that you use Mobil Drive Clean instead of an equivalent from Shell, Castrol, etc. etc.

EDIT: As a side note, I have read on many forums that the Honda branded motor oil sold at dealerships here in the states is just relabled Mobil Drive Clean. I don't know if it's the same for dealers in other countries but that's certainly something to consider.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:47 AM

Cool

I didn't ask what type of oil to use, obviously I've chosen to go with a 10W-30 mineral-based oil. Sorry about the confusion there.

I've read the oil journals and this is what I've chosen to change to. I don't want synthetic just yet because my car only has 6250kms on it, but my driving conditions are severe enough that I want to follow the extreme condition guide; there are times on the highway where I never get out of vtec in 4th gear, or cruise at speeds around/over 100mph for 20 minutes or so at a time, more than once on a nightly basis. I also get stuck in traffic in the mornings and afternoons, usually for 15 to 45 minutes at a time. The oil journals at one point suggest that dino oil is better for the break-in procedure and for forming seals, and that its good policy to not switch to synthetic until 10k miles or so. I just want to follow that advice, but can't find any 10W-30 grade mineral oil around here, only some 20W-50, and a ton of synthetics.

My honda dealership uses synthetic Castrol, and had I left it up to them, they would've put it in at 5000kms.

Edit: Also, I received a container to get a sample from my first oil change. I'm going to start getting my oils (doing the same for my diff) analyzed right from the beginning. If anything, I'm being way too anal about my oils (pun? God I hope not )
Old 10-03-2006, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by brimstone,Oct 3 2006, 11:47 AM
I didn't ask what type of oil to use, obviously I've chosen to go with a 10W-30 mineral-based oil. Sorry about the confusion there.

I don't want synthetic just yet because my car only has 6250kms on it...

My honda dealership uses synthetic Castrol, and had I left it up to them, they would've put it in at 5000kms.
Well, you asked if we approved of your choice or not. To be perfectly frank, our "approval" of your choice in motor oil is irrelevant, the owners manual approves 10w30 and 5w40 oil.

You say your car has 6250kms on it now but the dealer would have put synthetic in at 5000kms. What are you running in the car now? I assume its a dino oil because you didn't allow them to use synthetic? Assuming that the car is using the correct weight of dino oil why can't you just keep using that for a few thousand more kms until you feel comfortable switching to synthetic?
Old 10-03-2006, 12:27 PM

I'm running the break-in oil, haven't changed it out yet, I'm trying to go by the manual which states clearly not to change it until the given maintainence interval, but the extreme condition schedule says 6,750kms is where I should change. I dont want to suddenly find out I've sheared the oil when I'm on the road and see a giant blue cloud behind me or something of that sort.

I want to be premptive and still keep using dino oil. Is this really that much of an extreme, never-before-seen reuqest?

I've simply silently denied their request for changing the oil, but I don't want to overshoot by too much and get on their bad side either, just want to find a place/site that sells 10W-30 Mineral oil.

I've already tackled the diff & tranny oil situations -- I ordered LE from Rick's and have decided to listen to xviper and keep the Honda MTF until the ext.condition change interval.
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...0&#entry8635054
Old 10-03-2006, 12:37 PM

Well, I sympathize with what you're saying but I don't know what to tell you for dino oil. I don't think it will hurt a thing to switch to synthetic early on in the car's life. Has the car been burning oil now?

I don't know what country in you're in, you state an EDM S2k so I'm assuming UK but I could be way off. Here's a link to shell's site to locate service stations, maybe they'd have some supply of dino oil on hand? Shell Service Finder
I'm only posting shell stations because Mobil's website doesn't seem to list products in Europe, which is weird. Maybe I was looking at the wrong place.

Other than that I don't know what else to tell you. Hopefully other members could have some dino advice for your location. If it's an conselation to you my car has been running some form of synthetic 5w40 since about 1300kms. I started with US Castrol Syntec and later switched to Rotella T Synthetic. My car doesn't burn a drop and runs like it was brand new.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:18 PM

Nope, car hasn't burned a drop of oil yet, seems to run fine.

I live in Turkey

I just want to make 110% sure the seals are as good as they can be before I make the transition to synthetic, considering how much VTEC this car sees, I'd rather be extra safe at this stage of the car's life than be very sorry when it starts leaking/burning up oil later on. I'm sure you can understand

I'll keep looking into '06 owners' experiences with using synthetic relatively at the beginning of the engine's lifespan and consider it myself too, thank you.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:43 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

brimstone Posted on Oct 3 2006, 10:27 PM
I dont want to suddenly find out I've sheared the oil when I'm on the road and see a giant blue cloud behind me or something of that sort.
Relax !
There were some UOA's posted not that long ago of dino 10W-30 oils and they did shear down a bit but showed NO, NON, NOT AT ALL increased wear levels.
Your engine can handle it, no worries!

Only you can look / ask around where you live to find a dino 10W-30 oil with the correct API label.
Check service stations, automotive parts stores, ect, etc...
(to be honest I would not know where to find it here in the Netherlands either)

You could also change now to syn oil.
It may be a bit soon, but your car spends a lot of time in VTEC land so the rings will wear in soon enough or may be worn in allready.
Syn oil is not bad for the engine, it may be a bit to good for break-in and it may take a bit longer.
You may have allready driven enough in the way you drive to break-in your engine.

Old 10-03-2006, 02:57 PM

Hey SpitfireS,

For how much longer do you think the dino oil can withstand it, whats a ballpark estimation of the break-in oil life? Typing this question, I know its pointless, GM spent years developing the oil life meter, I can't expect you to diagnose my oil life over the internet depending soley on my written description of my driving experience. But here's what I'll say -- the manual suggests the first checkup after the 1,000 km checkup to be done at 10,000kms -- thats when the oil filter and oil get changed. Of course, the manual assumes normal driving conditions.

Even you stated that it "may" allongate the break-in period and that I "may" have already driven enough to break the engine in. We're not sure, and we can't be for now. I just want to use dino oil until the point where there will be absolutely no doubt in my mind that I'm completely done with the engine break-in. Frankly, if I could find an abundant supply of dino 10W-30 dino oil, I'd just use that and not use synthetic just for the sake of being a "petrol-head".
Old 10-03-2006, 03:18 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

brimstone Posted on Oct 3 2006, 10:27 PM
I ordered LE from Rick's ....
LE-607 is oil.
And it's going to be shipped internationally.
Why not ask them to send you 6 quarts (or more if possible) of dino 10W-30?
(6 quarts = 5.68 liter = enough for a change + filter)