S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Difficulty shifting into 1st and Reverse

Old 01-15-2012, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difficulty shifting into 1st and Reverse

Hi Guys,

Recently it seems that I have had trouble shifting into first gear and reverse on my AP1. No other gears I have issues with.

I will be sitting at a stoplight for example, I will try to enter first gear and it won't let me. Either I have to push really hard to enter the gear, or I will need to quickly move the lever to second and quickly move back to first. This doesn't happen all the time, maybe 50% of the time. I have a similar issue with reverse.

I have searched and haven't found issues with just these gears. I had thought it may be the clutch fluid, but I'm not sure. Has anyone else experienced this.

Thanks.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:29 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Check your clutch adjustment.

Utah
Old 01-15-2012, 10:04 PM

try new clutch fluid, trans fluid and regrease the shifter assembly
Old 01-16-2012, 08:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

make sure your master and slave cylinders are not leaking. On the master look inside by the clutch pedal, this is a common place to see leaking if the master has failed. For the slave you may need to peel back the boot and if theres fluid behind there its needs to be replaced. hope this helps!
Old 01-19-2012, 10:45 AM

Thanks for the Responses.

I ended up looking at the clutch reservoir. It was about 1/2 inch low. I felt where the master cylinder comes through the firewall, and there was black gunk. I'm assuming that's old brake/clutch fluid. I guess I'll go ahead and replace the master cylinder. Is it really necessary to change the slave master as well?

I asked the dealer what they would charge, $520 That's not happening.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:49 AM

I just replaced my clutch master and slave. If you are going to do the master, do the slave too. i bought mine after market and they both work great. Here is the brand i got..no issues with it what so ever and so much cheaper..

http://www.theautopartsshop.com/auto...nder+2000.html
Old 01-19-2012, 11:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Same issue with me but have a new master. Slave is not leaking. My car has 148k and when its cold, 1st and reverse is a bit difficult to put into gear. I just go into third first and then 1st or reverse is a fine.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:19 AM

Yea, that's exactly like mine, It really pisses me off Haha. The temperature has dropped a lot recently, I wonder if that is causing the seals to shrink or something.

If my car is still rolling and I'm in neutral it will go back into first. But if it has been sitting still for a few minutes, It won't go into first, and I'll have to pop it into 3rd gear first.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:40 AM

Just wanted to follow up on this. I have changed the master cylinder and flushed/bled the fluid. I also regreased the shifter. Im still experiencing issues putting the car into gear. In fact, I have to move the shifter 4-5 times between neutral and third, to get it to fully enter third, and then It will enter the other gears, Including first.

If I come to a complete stop, and release the clutch pedal, I will have go through this process. If I keep the pedal pinned to the floor after coming to a stop, I can re enter any of the gears perfectly. Any reccomendations on what should be checked next?

Thanks
Old 02-06-2012, 05:21 AM

I think your clutch may be going (or combination of clutch and pressure plate). That is all I can think of at this point. Hopefully Billman or someone else can chime in.

Quick Reply: Difficulty shifting into 1st and Reverse