S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Difficulty with jack stands

Old 04-10-2014, 05:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't trust jack stands all that much...I've had one to bend/break.Ramps works great for me.

The wooden board is a useful method.

\rlr
Carolina
Old 04-10-2014, 06:40 AM

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Originally Posted by redlineracing
I don't trust jack stands all that much...I've had one to bend/break.Ramps works great for me.

The wooden board is a useful method.

\rlr
Carolina
Just the opposite!

Plastic and metal ramps break (crush suddenly) and metal ones bend. No way are you going to get under any car with just ramps holding it up. Jack stands can fail too but you need to buy quality ones here. Not aluminum ones (perhaps except big red design) and not cheap Chinese ones. Make sure the rating is for each jack that you need, many ratings are for the PAIR. Shake the car up on stands to test as if your life depends on it. Tell someone you are under the car. Never on soft surface or incline (duh).

I use wood to get the front up a bit but I use 2X6s with a bevel edge on one side.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

old picture but I made these ramps they work great. my car is much lower now I just set some thin boards in front of the ramps and I just drive right up. If I just want to put the car on stands I drive up on 2x4s then I can get to the front crossmember

Difficulty with jack stands-hztlhgll.jpg
Old 04-12-2014, 10:30 AM

Received 487 Likes on 398 Posts

I just jack up the rear until I can put the lift paws underneath the jacking points. Having a lift changes your life.
Old 04-12-2014, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by alphalanos
old picture but I made these ramps they work great. my car is much lower now I just set some thin boards in front of the ramps and I just drive right up. If I just want to put the car on stands I drive up on 2x4s then I can get to the front crossmember

This is what I do as well. I would NOT entrust my life to 4 jack stands. Front on 2x6's and rear only on jack stands and you have enough clearance to do most stuff. Make sure to chock the front wheels too. Wood isn't going to fail in that application.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you may also jack at the jack points and place the jack stands under the control arms.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:57 PM

I made a small ramp with 1x6s. A 3' base followed by a 2' and a 1'. This gives me clearance to get my lowpro jack all the way under the front. Once in the air, I put it on stands at a very low setting, usually 1 to 2 notches from the bottom. Then I jack the rear to my desired height which is generally a couple feet off the ground, then back to the front to level it out. It's a bit of a PITA, especially in my small 1 car garage but it's what I have to do to be safe for my car and myself.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you guys are worried about the car falling off of jack stands, just lay the wheels under the car once you have them off. I generally put a wheel under each rocker panel, one under the diff and one under the front central lift point.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:59 PM

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Originally Posted by odb812
If you guys are worried about the car falling off of jack stands, just lay the wheels under the car once you have them off. I generally put a wheel under each rocker panel, one under the diff and one under the front central lift point.

Also leave the jack in place too if possible.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by odb812
+1 on this. Could save your life...

Quick Reply: Difficulty with jack stands