S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Difficulty getting the TOP to go all the way down?

Old 11-16-2006, 05:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difficulty getting the TOP to go all the way down?

I searched for 10 minutes and didn't really get this answered.

I've had this happen the past 3 times I've put the top down after driving in 55 degree or colder temps, it just doesn't want to get down the last 3 inches or so.

I don't know if it's the humidity or the cooler temps, or both but as the top is almost completely down I hear a creaking (vinyl on vinyl) sound and the top stops about 3 inches short (so that's it's blocking some of my rearview through the wind deflector). I've had to put it back up halfway when this happens and then push the power button again while pushing down with my hand on the handgrip part of the top to help it get down to trunk level.

Any suggestions? I have the top down in anything over about 40 degree temps so don't tell me just wait till its' warmer.

I really think the humidy on the vinyl is causing it to stick together instead of fold correctly. Maybe I'll wait for this front to blow through and drop the humidity and try it again.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:36 AM

Might try putting it up a little then back down to see if maybe its just got some dirt stuck in it. Also might see if there are any spots you could like try and lube. Lastly have a shop you trust check it out.

Or wait till its warmer lol
Old 11-16-2006, 05:41 AM

i just do put it up half way and put it back down, then it goes all the way.
But i know there's way of fixing it sticked on under the hood section, i'm just way to lazy to read and actually do it on my car

Actually it was under library, good luck.
way to fix
Old 11-16-2006, 05:42 AM

Damn lazy S owners.

Another idea is to check for gremlins
Old 11-16-2006, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Lookin4as2k,Nov 16 2006, 06:42 AM
Damn lazy S owners.

Another idea is to check for gremlins
Lazy?

I checked and didn't see any gremlins, maybe they are stuck somewhere and the squeaking sound I'm hearing is the top smashing down on them but not being able to close fully. Hmm.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:08 AM

Your elastic straps are probably crappy as noted in the service bulletin. i would get them replaced with straps from modifry asap before you rip holes in your top as i did.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:16 AM

I have an 2006 so I doubt its the straps (in my case). I think its more to do with one of the braces not folding at just the right time. Regardless, what I do is

1. Drop the top
2. If its sitting a few inches higher than it should, then raise it for about a second, and then drop it again. I find that this does the trick. Thankfully the roof mechanism is superfast, so this isn't much of a hassle.

jlstyle82: thanks for the informative TSB
Old 11-16-2006, 07:17 AM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

This is very normal for our year, Jlude. Cooler temps make the top stiffer.

Raising partway and lowering will usually help, but ultimately I just recommend living with it. Cool temps do cause wear on the top.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:19 AM

I'm just going to fold it down slower and physically make sure that its' folding correctly before going further down. I guess folding the top down while in traffic will have to wait till spring.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:22 AM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm really hardcore about top-down, Jlude... I put it down in extremely cold temps. I know it's tough on the vinyl, but it's why I own a convertible.

I suggest not worrying about it. The top will take some abuse over time using it in the chilly weather. Honda says (I think) nothing below 40 degrees?? can't remember. Forget that.

Quick Reply: Difficulty getting the TOP to go all the way down?