S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Difficulty engaging reverse after clutch-change

Old 07-20-2008, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Folks,

I have gone to check the car after leaving it for 5 hrs idle after this morn's drive. I started it up and just rolled it out and back into the garage once and there was no judder on either 1st or reverse. I did not use it after that. The car is only used on a weekend but as from tomorrow I will use it a least for an hour everyday after work and will let you know.

As to your comment, SCCS2K, of "Drive the damn thing until you enjoy it. If somethings actually breaks, just fix it then", you and I share the same the same philosophy about cars, unfortunately my wife does not and her constant nagging from day one when I told her that the car needs a new clutch is what is really driving me nuts ! The car is 2005 model (bought with only 8K miles on the clock)and had only one previous owner. If it didn't have this clutch problem, the car is in immaculate condition throughout.

As to your comment,Evan & Monica, of fitting an OEM clutch, well (1) a clutch-change isn't exactly a "plug-and -play" type of task and (2) it had an OEM one and they are known not to last on S2000's

Thanks and keep in touch...your comments are quite helpful.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:18 PM

I have a 6-puk setup in my '01, I never had the reverse-engagement problem as you stated, perhaps a pedal-adjustment may be necessary as the clutch may not be fully dis-engaging.

out of the box, i had massive chatter! would shake the entire car!! as I came closer to the 500 mile point the chatter slowly subsided.

Drive it and see what happens
Old 07-20-2008, 12:40 PM

Hi TJ01s ! Reverse-engagement problem was not there today, instead I had this clutch-judder/chatter on 1st and reverse only. This evening, it didn't do either when I started it and rolled it backwards and forwards in my garage for 5mins.

Yes you are right, I should wait and see but unfortunately, patience isn't one of my best virtues !
Old 07-20-2008, 03:25 PM

how much do you ride the clutch when you go from a stop?? do you engage slowly, allowing a fair amount of slippage, while keeping the rpms around 2-3k? or do you normally let the engine bog a little and not slip the clutch as much.

I've been able to minimize chatter by trying to keep slipping the clutch to a minimum.

another thing with the intermittent reverse problem, have you bled the clutch slave cylender or checked/replaced the fluid? have a look at your fluid level, as well as the quality of the fluid, it should be golden color and mostly transparent. seeing that you've replaced the clutch with only 8k miles on the car, the fluid may need changing as well. hope this helps
Old 07-20-2008, 05:14 PM

Just give it some time. Like I said I had the exact same problem but was able to pick up reverse and first easier after the first 500 miles of break in.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:15 PM

since the S has a solid shift linkage . this may not apply .. but i know the cable linkage can have problems only in reverse if they are not clamp down 100% had this happen after i did a MR-S.. maybe the linkage is loose?
Old 07-20-2008, 08:44 PM

which stage is your competition clutch? Disk has spring or it's solid?
Old 07-20-2008, 09:39 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by pfspeeddemon,Jul 21 2008, 05:51 AM
unfortunately my wife does not and her constant nagging from day one when I told her that the car needs a new clutch is what is really driving me nuts !
I'd swap it out.... and I'm not talking about the clutch.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 07-21-2008, 10:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Leverage with the short shift lever is minimal. Any HD clutch would probably increase the (already) more difficult selection of reverse. as compared to the fwd gears. If you have no issues other than the difficult reverse selection, all might be normal and something to get use to.
Find another S owner with a non OEM clutch and get his/her impression.

Quick Reply: Difficulty engaging reverse after clutch-change