S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Difficulty engaging reverse after clutch-change

Old 07-19-2008, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, mine got much better after the first 500 mile break in. I could get it into reverse after that but it was still not all that easy due to the fact that they still did not grease the bearing or the splines.
Old 07-19-2008, 11:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you tried sliding into 1st or 2nd before attempting to slide it into reverse?
Old 07-19-2008, 02:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It may be just the higher spring rate in the competition clutch. If that were the case, then I guess it would be a question of "just how hard is the selection in reverse?" If it fully engages, you may just need to get use to it. I would suspect that any change to a non-OEM clutch would automatically feel different.
Old 07-19-2008, 03:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ Hmm, probably not, to be honest. If the clutch pedal is fully down (i.e. disengaged), the additional pressure in action won't be playing a role anymore.

I've got a pretty heavy aftermarket clutch myself, but it's not affecting the transmission's abilities to change gears.

Here's a question - is it hard to engage gears with the car off, as well?
Old 07-20-2008, 07:03 AM

Hi Folks,

First and foremost, thank you to all of you who are offering advice.

Here's the latest :

Sliding into 1st or 2nd before attempting to slide it into reverse while engine was running had no effect, i.e. the problem persisted. Problem was absent when the engine was not running.

After the above, here's the best one: today was the 2nd and proper shake-down drive. Started car up and the problem was totally gone, both with engine running and switched off. "Great !" I said to myself. My joy was short-lived : as soon as I tried to move off, I noticed that I now have clutch-judder on 1st and reverse gears. I had no judder at all when I took the car from Honda 2 days ago. Still, after today's 60-mile drive I do not have to pull back hard on the stick to engage reverse anymore but now I have clutch-judder on 1st and reverse gears !!

Please let me have your views as I am going totally bonkers. I have only had this car for one and a half months and I have had nothing but anguish with it so far !
Old 07-20-2008, 07:24 AM

Give it a little time, maybe you just need to get used to the different engagement of an aftermarket clutch.

It took me quite a while to learn mine, and even now I still sometimes have trouble with smooth 1st gear starts. Reverse is still basically impossible. It's the nature of a racing clutch.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:35 AM

Granted and will do SCCS2K but I have had a different brand of competition clutch in my previous car and I never had any judder at all....
Old 07-20-2008, 07:44 AM

Yeah, dunno. Just keep your eye on it I suppose.

What concerns me is this statement:
"I have only had this car for one and a half months and I have had nothing but anguish with it so far !"

That's terrible! It's just a car, a Honda, and it's made to be fun - not smooth, soft and quiet. Drive the damn thing until you enjoy it. If somethings actually breaks, just fix it then.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:09 AM

I think it would maybe be a good idea to try to put an oem clutch in and see if everything works okay then you will know for sure the clutch is the problem. Hope for the best, good luck!
Old 07-20-2008, 09:49 AM

Well, if it shifts fine when the car is off, it's likely the clutch.

Quick Reply: Difficulty engaging reverse after clutch-change