S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Difficulty engaging reverse after clutch-change

Old 07-18-2008, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Difficulty engaging reverse after clutch-change

Hi all,

I have just got my S2K back this afternoon from the local Honda garage after fitting a Stage 2 organic clutch kit (brand is "Competition Clutch"). The clutch kit has lived up to what was advertised on the net : increased calmping force, smooth engagement, clutch pedal feel just as good as OEM, if not better etc.

There is just one snag: I now have to yank real hard on the gear lever to engage reverse gear (only this gear, all other gears are OK). It takes me about 3 times the effort that I used to make on the gear lever before the clutch-change. Any ideas what could be causing this problem as the Honda guys told me they don't know ?

Your advice / suggestions would be most appreciated !

Thanks in advance,

pfspeeddemon
Old 07-18-2008, 02:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

first thing first, check the fluid level and have them flush and bleed the clutch slave cylinder.

running low on both fluid will sent your car back to the repairs shop very fast
Old 07-18-2008, 02:53 PM

Hello and Thanks, iam7head.

They didn't touch the hydraulic system at all and they insisted about not having any need to do so even though the clutch kit manufacturer recommends this . I actually saw them drain and pour in new transmission oil into the gearbox.

If the car doesn't improve over the next couple of days I will point out your suggestion to them but if this really isn't the cause of the problem do you have any other suggestions from your end ?
Old 07-18-2008, 05:47 PM

They probably didn't grease the throw out bearing and the mian shaft spline.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Greasing the main shaft splines properly is pretty crucial.

Also, don't give it a couple of days. Check your fluids right away just in case.

I don't know why they changed your tranny fluid, other than to be nice, but make sure they used the right stuff (EDIT - and the right amount! ).
Old 07-19-2008, 12:18 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

moved to UTH
Old 07-19-2008, 03:08 AM

They probably did not grease the splines as already stated. I had the same problem with my car, it was hard and almost impossible to engage reverse some times. After I took the tranny out myself I saw that the shop that did my clutch before did not grease it. After I greased it it has been smooth as silk in every gear.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:28 AM

One of my coworkers had the exact same problem a few weeks ago so I may be able to save you some headaches and dough. Some aftermarket clutches require that you buy an aftermarket flywheel to work properly. My coworker has a 94camaro. He bought a stage 2 Clutch and had it installed, after it was installed he lost reverse and 5th. He took it to several shops that all told him different things were wrong but none could fix the problem. I looked up his clutchs manufactures website and in fine print at the bottom it said must be paired with their flywheel that must be bought seperatly. Hope that helps
Old 07-19-2008, 08:43 AM

Thank you all for you posts so far, keep 'em coming so that I will have more ammo to throw at the Honda garage guys when I go back to them next week !!
Old 07-19-2008, 09:08 AM

Folks,

I forgot to tell you but my brother has told me that since this is not an OEM clutch, it could be a clutch-drag problem and that it could improve after the clutch starts to bed in properly.

What are your thoughts on this possibility ?

Tx a lot !

Quick Reply: Difficulty engaging reverse after clutch-change