S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Differential Problems... Help Please.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differential Problems... Help Please.

Hi guys. I know there are a bunch of differential problems on these forums, but I just need a few opinions. My rear differential started making this winding noise, so I looked under the car and realized I had run over a bag and it got wedged between the axle and the differential causing a leak in the seal. By the time I found out, it was already making that winding noise. It still runs, the differential haven't completely blown out yet, and I haven't driven the car ever since the winding noise started. I haven't had time to take the car apart to check on it yet. What I want to know is, from your experience, do you think the differential is still rebuildable? What kind of damage would I expect to see? What do you guys think is the best way out of this mess?
Old 07-13-2009, 07:56 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Nine1Sickness,Jul 13 2009, 07:45 PM
Hi guys. I know there are a bunch of differential problems on these forums, but I just need a few opinions. My rear differential started making this winding noise, so I looked under the car and realized I had run over a bag and it got wedged between the axle and the differential causing a leak in the seal. By the time I found out, it was already making that winding noise. It still runs, the differential haven't completely blown out yet, and I haven't driven the car ever since the winding noise started. I haven't had time to take the car apart to check on it yet. What I want to know is, from your experience, do you think the differential is still rebuildable? What kind of damage would I expect to see? What do you guys think is the best way out of this mess?
Take a picture. I don't know what kind of bag would cause the differential to leak. It's mechanically strong enough that I'd be pretty surprised if the bag has anything to do with anything.

Now a noisy diff, that's a different problem altogether....
Old 07-13-2009, 08:08 PM

I don't have a picture of it, but the bag was spooled up where the red arrow is. There was also a puddle of oil where the differential would be where I always park my S2.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:29 PM

I think it broke the oil seal on the housing where the bearing and output shaft assembly goes. The part is only like 6 bucks...It's just the labor will be expensive. For the noise i'm hoping it's not your LSD. How long have you been driving your car with oil leaking?
Old 07-13-2009, 08:36 PM

I didn't know it was leaking until it started making that noise, but I only drove about 5 miles (enough to get home) when after the noise started. It's been sitting in the garage ever since.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:51 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

You can pop the output shaft out and replace that seal without a problem.
(You might as well do both)
IMO it's best to remove the diff from the car.
I'm not sure you can pop the output shaft(s) while the diff is on the car.
You will definitely need to pop the lower ball joint to get the rear axle out of the output shaft to do that.

See how much oil is still in there.
A normal fill is about 700cc.
Look for metal flakes in the oil and on the magnetic drain plug.
You can see the ring gear through the drain hole.

If you decide to drop the diff you could (with the output shafts out) remove the rear cover and look at the ring & pinion.
All you need to put that back is liquid gasket.

Post pics?

Old 07-15-2009, 08:56 AM

Thanks a lot SpitfireS. I will post pics when I get the chance to take the car apart. I'm just too busy with the intense summer classes at the moment.