S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Differential play around drive axles

Old 08-31-2011, 05:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differential play around drive axles

My diff thuds sometimes and when I went under the car to inspect I noticed I have 2 to 3mm of play were the axle meets the diff. No vibration and no leaks and the thud is only piriodicle but I can move or wiggle the drive axle a small amount. If the diff isnt shot could it be a diff bearing? Im worried because if the diff isnt bad id like to repair it instead of destroying it.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:39 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's normal. The hub splines slide into the torsion unit and are held with a spring clip. You can just yank them out with the diff pulled out.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:20 AM

Really? omg thats such a reliefe! But why do most drive axles fit tightly? That would make sence because the car os seeming fine.

So could the clank be just from wear?
Old 08-31-2011, 05:13 PM

It will do that right off the factory floor. It's built that way.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:18 AM

Ok I notice the clanking most when I am making a hard turn like in a parking lot. Any ideas on what to check or how to check it? The only reason I thought it was the diff is because after a mean cluch drop and some wheel hop I heard a clank so immidiatly let go of the gas. Thing is I only get the clank now if im making a harsh turn in a lot. Maybe a ball joint from the hard take off? its deff coming from the back and I havent found any one els with a similar issue.....
Old 09-01-2011, 11:44 AM

"My diff thuds..." Somehow my eyes jumped right over that. It could be diff damage or it could be a cv cup or spider. The diff is made off glass though so change the fluid and check for chunks. A little wiggle on the cups is normal, but a lot is not. When I cracked my bearing cap it moved more then usual. When it finally shattered, you could move it around like you where stirring a pot.

Does the rear have a faint repeating noise now? If you broke a tooth it could make one. It could be something with the torsion unit to. If the bearing cap is cracked in the diff, it may be that the hard turn loads it up enough to make something bind. If you think the diff is hosed you may be able to salvage it with a rebuild.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:45 AM

Well thing is i think it is the diff thudding. When im driving its fine. It will only make the noise when in nutral rolling and i turn like into a parking spot. I was hoping it would be an axle or some thing. Because nothing seems visably wrong and its perfect with load on it. Even racing it wont make a noise.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:05 PM

theres another thread about this and mine makes the exact sound. my diff is a puddy mod stage 2 couple months old. got the noise since i installed it and well its still holding on. i just forget about it until something actually breaks.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:55 PM

Check axle torque. 220 foot pounds. Also, if you've lowered your car you need to check the upper control arm bushings. If you've ever undone the sway bar be sure to check both sides of it.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:21 AM

I got under the car today to investigate further when i spin the drive shaft every thing is smooth the the ring and pinion are fine. I get the clunk whe the wheels spin at different speeds. So i spun them by the the axels at the diff and i noticed the spin and get stuck if i do it faster so there is momentum it kind of just catches like a chunk is taken out of the internal diff gears.

So do you guys think i deff need a diff? And What is a great lsd to replace it with? Lastly how long do you think i have untill its trashed because i wont have some spare cash for a little bit?

Quick Reply: Differential play around drive axles