S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Differential Fluid

Old 06-01-2004, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.p...threadid=115704

I'm very concerned after reading this thread...I'm looking at my service records ..I have found, I believe that Honda service used the wrong Gear oil in my differential! I had both Trans fluid and Diff fluid changed. Looking at the invoice I see they used a qty of 3 , of fluid part#MT 08200 .. Later in the invoice it shows shop supplies and a qty of 2.0 Trans Fluid. ....I assume these qty #s are actually quarts..I'm not sure which product they put where. If in fact they did put the 08200 or an unidentified ( 2.0 Trans Fluid) in the differential what are the dangers inherent to doing so and the negative long term effects if any on my differential ...I've been running on this for over 5000 miles. Any advice on the effects and how to approach this with the dealer is greatly appreciated. I hesitate to be an ass because they are doing the clutch TSB 054 at 40000 miles next week. I told them about it at 35K but they acted as if that was normal..after I brought a printed copy of the TSB they decided to do it at my current mileage..They are covering the cost of labor and clutch disk thats it. Ipay for new PP and flywheel...FW if needed. So as I said before I am hesitant to tell them to replace the Diff because of their mistake , but if abnormal wear happens from using the wrong fluid is there any other choice.Or is it not that much of a concern?
Old 06-01-2004, 05:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Show them the pic from this thread.

http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.p...threadid=165162
Old 06-01-2004, 05:26 PM

Sorry, I should have referenced this thread at the beginning. Reading this thread is what made me look to see what they put in my car. It is almost funny.If it was not my car I might even laugh about it .Service manager talking to me the other day about all the F1 technology in the car and the car is basically F1 technology on the street ...Yet, they still put in fluid designed for the CRV. Fu*****g idiots! PLEASE HONDA, TEACH YOUR DEALERS HOW TO SERVICE THE CARS YOU SELL!!!! Love the car > I just wish dealers would take the time to do things Right.
Old 06-01-2004, 07:46 PM

Talk to me guys
Old 06-01-2004, 08:48 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Well, you've read those threads. Therefore, you know that VTM fluid is WRONG. You also have said the this is what you have in your car. It's hard to say what or how much damage has been done to your diff by now. Some have reported a toasted diff after 2 weeks and the dealer replaced it for free. While others have reported thousands of miles with the fluid in and no "discernable" issues. This may not necessarily mean that the diff is fine. It just may not have had the kind of use where any damage has shown up - who's to say. Given what you know, do you really need someone to tell you to GET THAT FLUID OUT OF THERE ASAP? OK ........................ GET THAT FLUID OUT OF THERE ASAP!
Old 06-02-2004, 11:04 AM

Thanks , X viper..I guess I was just looking for some ammo to present to the dealer as far as real world experiences and diff failures caused by the wrong lube.Yes, I will be changing it immediately,but if the damage is already done. Is there any way to quantify the damage that may have occurred already.
Thanks for the help.
Old 06-02-2004, 11:08 AM

Save the fluid if you change it yourself. You may need to present it as evidence down the road.
Old 06-02-2004, 11:39 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

You might want to get an analysis done, however, if the damage is done to the LSD, an analysis may not tell.

Originally posted by candyass
Thanks , X viper..I guess I was just looking for some ammo to present to the dealer as far as real world experiences and diff failures caused by the wrong lube.Yes, I will be changing it immediately,but if the damage is already done. Is there any way to quantify the damage that may have occurred already.
Thanks for the help.
Without tearing the diff apart and doing an inspection, it will be hard to tell. Your only "superficial" evidence will be noises that are unusual for any diff. Have a look at this thread and you might get more insight:
http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.p...threadid=199536

Also, you should re-read what was posted by "Incubus" in that first thread that you linked.
Old 06-02-2004, 03:03 PM

Update....... I spoke to the dealer..They said that they used the correct lube..They buy in bulk that is why it was only $1.66 per quart. I am thinking if they buy in bulk it should have a part # on my invoice. It is described on the invoice as trans fluid.I think they are lying to me afraid that if they tell me that they put the wrong stuff in they know I will expect them to replace the Diff. So Is there anyone local in the S2000 community qualified to do lab analysis of the fluid? Or can anyone recommend a Dallas area lab that can do it? Should I have the same dealer remove the diff fluid while I watch then take the old in for analysis?I am just thinking that if I remove it and the lab shows the wrong fluid they will say my word against theirs. Advice is appreciated!
Old 06-02-2004, 04:00 PM

X_viper..... As I stated before I show a qty of 3 of the 08200 on my invoice for 30 k service.Does this fluid go anywhere in an S2000. Is this the correct fluid for the transmission? Dealer said they put 08200 in trans. and the unidentified trans fluid qty of 2 was for the diff. but of course they said the unidentified trans fluid they used the right gear oil for the diff.IF that is true why did they charge me for a total of five quarts 3ea 08200 and 2ea unidentified trans fluid. Should'nt the whole job, trans and diff require less than three quarts total?

Quick Reply: Differential Fluid