S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Differential Fill Bolt Washer - Disposable ?

Old 02-11-2016, 04:16 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,539 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by HarryD
But where have all the men gone? Seriously.

These washers "crush" a bit because they are made out of soft aluminum alloys. They are not like crush washers on spark plugs. Designed to smoosh to specific point, to help seal the combustion chamber. This is why every new spark plug comes with new washers.
Old 02-11-2016, 04:35 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Originally Posted by HarryD
Originally Posted by Chuck S' timestamp='1455237695' post='23878441
These are crush washers. One-time-use. Torque to spec. I think they're less than 50¢ and the dealer will usually just hand them to you without charge. The dealer puts new washers in so the customer doesn't come back with a leak -- or no bolt at all. Why short-cut to save 50¢

-- Chuck
The diff fill washer is $2.00 at my local dealer.

As mentioned above, this is just a washer for the FILL bolt. It's not under a lot of stress. It's not going to leak. We're not talking the oil bolt washer.

I know we're all anal about our s2000s (and even I ask a lot of stupid questions on here ), but where have all the men gone? Seriously.
And $2.00 in your area is closer to $4.00 in my region. The diff. fill bolt washer is twice the price of the other less expensive washers. Given that it is made of copper it begged me to ask the question - Why is the differential fill bolt washer different than all other washers on this car ?
Old 02-12-2016, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you really want to save some money but want to swap em out every shot, don't buy from honda - you can source washers pretty much anywhere.
Old 02-12-2016, 03:55 PM

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
Given that it is made of copper it begged me to ask the question - Why is the differential fill bolt washer different than all other washers on this car ?
My guess would be due to corrosion. The fill bolt may not get soaked on the inside with fluid. Capillary action will usually fill in the voids between the threads of an immersed bolt and coat any crevices on the washer from the inside. But it won't if the bolt stays dry. The bolt is made of steel and the diff is aluminum. Since they're very dissimilar metals, galvanic corrosion will take place where they meet in the presence of moisture and salt. Aluminum is a less noble metal than copper, therefore will result in a larger galvanic potential. That means it is more prone to corrosion under similar conditions than copper.

I'm guessing that some time in Honda's history of making engines they encountered a problem with corrosion on the fill bolt and using a copper washer corrected it.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:06 PM

Received 126 Likes on 76 Posts

They are supposed to be one-time use. I bought my washers in bulk from HandA for a very reasonable price. I've gotten away with re using washers on my own car but when it comes to customer cars I do it by the book.
Old 02-13-2016, 12:20 AM

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts

you are always suppose to change the drain/fill plug washers, but i have probable change my diff fluid over 10 times and i have never change the washer and it never leaks.
Old 02-13-2016, 05:03 AM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Originally Posted by slalom44
Originally Posted by zeroptzero' timestamp='1455240947' post='23878473
Given that it is made of copper it begged me to ask the question - Why is the differential fill bolt washer different than all other washers on this car ?
My guess would be due to corrosion. The fill bolt may not get soaked on the inside with fluid. Capillary action will usually fill in the voids between the threads of an immersed bolt and coat any crevices on the washer from the inside. But it won't if the bolt stays dry. The bolt is made of steel and the diff is aluminum. Since they're very dissimilar metals, galvanic corrosion will take place where they meet in the presence of moisture and salt. Aluminum is a less noble metal than copper, therefore will result in a larger galvanic potential. That means it is more prone to corrosion under similar conditions than copper.

I'm guessing that some time in Honda's history of making engines they encountered a problem with corrosion on the fill bolt and using a copper washer corrected it.
Thanks for this reply, perhaps the diff is more susceptible to corrosion as you say. Thanks
Old 02-13-2016, 05:15 AM

Received 452 Likes on 379 Posts

Should be similar circumstances for the transmission fill bolt though?
And that one uses an aluminum washer.
Old 02-13-2016, 05:29 AM

Received 487 Likes on 398 Posts

The transmission has an oil pump, the diff doesn't
Old 02-13-2016, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I order this kind of stuff from majestic honda, their prices are really good, just order a bunch of stuff you need at once to save on shipping.

Quick Reply: Differential Fill Bolt Washer - Disposable ?