S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Differential and engine issues

Old 04-09-2001, 08:25 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

How many times you wanna do it Blondie....in the engineering world we talk in terms of fatigue....just like us old guys. As long as your under warranty and perform the proper service, Honda will give you new parts all day long.....trust me I know.
Old 04-09-2001, 09:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that UtahS2K is taking the right track here. I don't care who built your car (Daewoo or McLaren), I can break it if you give me enough time. And I won't be doing things to try and break it, just trying to extract maximum performance.

Netwiz, I don't know much about Corvette differentials, but I do know that the diffs used on the solid rear axle LT1 and LS1 cars are notoriously weak. Add a little hp and improve traction and sooner or later something is going to break. The key is improving traction. If the S2000 was making 200 lbs-ft of torque at 2500 rpms, you'd be less likely to break things because you could break the rear tires loose. That said, with big enough slicks and a strong enough clutch, I could break even a Ford 9".

In terms of other sports cars, many people fragged the diff on the Mazda RX7TT - but the prime cause was wheel hop. Loading and unloading the unit that rapidly and harshly would spit parts out the housing. Surprisingly, using slicks actually helped, since the tires absorb the hop without losing traction. I wonder if the S2K might not be the same (i.e. the diff failures being wheelhop induced).

In terms of engine problems, how about the #4 crank journal thrust washer on Mazda Miatas? Or maybe the sulfur induced block corrosion on the BMW V8's in the mid/late 90s? Or turbo charger/BOV failures on Audi 1.8T and 2.7TT engines.

Or, on other issues, how about the saddle style fuel tank issues on the C5 (seam welds on the saddle weren't holding up), or the front control arms? Or maybe the immediate recall on the new Trailblazer suspension? Or the high level of occurence of check engine lights on the new Subaru Impreza? Or maybe the annoying frameless window rattle on the 1994 Integras (first year).

Point is, every car, from Audi to Volvo, Honda to Toyota, Buick to Saturn will have problems of some sort, especially in the first year. The tranny shifting issue and the seatbelt recalls are legitimate Honda errors in design. They have been fixed pretty promptly. The few engine failures and diff failures are harder to diagnose. I believe the diff failures are mainly abuse related. Like the engine, the diff has to properly warm up, and it probably doesn't like wheel hop much. I, like many others here, have launched my car very hard, many times and haven't had a problem with the diff. I suspect that most people will have a similar experience. But if you combine a diff on the lower end of the tolerance scale with a harsh driver and some poor conditions, well, things happen.

The engine failures, given the preponderance of early 01 models, is probably an assembly or manufacturing error with pistons. I could be wrong, but Honda has handled these issues quite nicely too, even in cases where abuse may have been a problem (diff).

UL
Old 04-10-2001, 04:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's the link to my summary of all 14 short block replacements known on this board.

Honda has paid for all the short block replacements to date.

http://www.s2000online.com/forums/showthre...79753#post79753
Old 04-10-2001, 06:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by netwiz
[B]but that's my point as well.
Old 04-10-2001, 06:47 AM
pfb

[QUOTE]Originally posted by netwiz
[B] Have any of you even HEARD of half the problems that people have listed here on another high performance car, outside of Lotus?
Old 04-10-2001, 07:20 AM
Sev

No matter how you guys see this. The differential is weak.

They should have known that high RPM clutch drops would be neccessary to make the car a low 14 second car and 0-60 faster then 6 seconds.

A low torque engine combined with a high redline and alot of grip in the back end, force people to launch aggresively if they want to beat any car, even a Type R will beat you on a straight line if you don't do that.

The point is, it doesn't take abuse to break the diff. just some regular high performance driving.

I have stopped doing aggressive launches because of this and have changed sports, no more drag racing for me, i don't want to end up with broken parts, i am into solo 2 now. I like solo 2 much better anyway it takes much more skill and is much more fun
Old 04-10-2001, 09:22 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sev
[B]
They should have known that high RPM clutch drops would be neccessary to make the car a low 14 second car and 0-60 faster then 6 seconds.
Old 04-11-2001, 09:39 PM

I think Sev understands my question, and partially answers it. Folks, I am not going to be bitching about this wonderful car, and also, quite possibly, one of the best cars ever made.. Beauty and function, all in one, unlike some Porsches or BMWs (of course my opinion.) This is my fourth Honda/Acura and I never had problems with my previous cars, meaning no issues beyond what is expected. My 88 Accord gave up on AC in 96, and that was O.K. For a performance car, I need to know how many spirited drives, or below 6 sec. 0-60 launches it would take to harm the weakest part of the car, the infamous LSD. I guess the consencus is don't drive it too hard, and enjoy the car at 9/10ths in the twisties. O.K. then, will do. Thanks.
Old 04-12-2001, 12:43 PM

You won't hurt the car's components driving 10/10ths (or 11/10ths depending on your ability) in the twisties! Have fun!
Old 04-12-2001, 07:41 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Now that you asked the question:
The vast majority of launch problems are clutch frys as opposed to LSD