S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Differential Dead -- HondaCare denies coverage

Old 08-31-2006, 08:02 AM

Received 1,058 Likes on 540 Posts

I think you're going to find that warranty laws only apply to the original warranty. Your extended warranty with Honda puts you at their mercy with right to deny for just about anything.

At least I think if you search you'll find several threads discussing that.

I just had mine in for some extended warranty work. Fortunately my dealer sold me a non honda extended policy which covered it This was on non drivetrain related parts. It will be interesting to see what happens if I really blow something up.

Under Hondas extended care, I could have been in trouble.

fltsfshr
Old 08-31-2006, 08:17 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by QUICKAG,Aug 31 2006, 04:40 AM
I don't understand why they would have covered the rear inner cv joint and bearings for the transmission and not the rear diff. It doesn't make sense to me and I am a service writer. How would the cai effect the diff., but have no effect on the rest of the driveline parts you have had replaced under warranty? Have you talked with the service manager? If the only person you have dealt with is the writer (only) then I would say this guy is seeing dollar signs and is trying to screw you. If this is the case then you definitly need to see or talk to the service manager. Hope this helps and good luck.
Since you are a service writer, perhaps you can expand upon the following a bit more:
at least 3 driver side window regulators, rear inner CV joint replacement, and replacement of bearings on the 2ndary output shaft in the transmission.
Is it possible that these 3 issues are known problems covered by service bulletins or internal memos and can easily be passed back to Honda via a "goodwill" fix even if the factory warranty is over? I don't believe there are any such bulletins or memos concerning rear diffs and being how the extended is like an insurance policy, the holder of that policy (not Honda itself), can easily use the "fine print" of the policy to deny claim.

If "Slow" sees this, perhaps he might comment as well.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been writing service for 5+ years and yes, I did read the entire article completely several times to make sure I wasn't retarded. There are some serious incosistencies here, why would they have covered the other components before under his extened service plan or Hondacare (whatever) and now all of a sudden the cai is a big issue? I have customers that come in often that have mods on their cars-trucks and unless its obvious that that particular part caused the damage, I let it go. Its not worth losing a customer over something so trivial, (sorry, I know this is not trivial to you and I am not making light of your situation)
when both parties know that that part is not what caused whatever failure. I would speak with service manager and ask him point blank if really thinks the cai is what caused the damage and if he says yes, I would go to another dealer. We all know there is no way a cai is the reason your diff. went south on you. I'm interested to see where this goes. Keep us posted. P.S. always remember the warranty co. only knows what the service writer tells them!!!
Old 08-31-2006, 03:34 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

I've actually been talking to PKJ3 for a about a week before he brought his car in. The window regulators and CV joints have TSB's. The trans bearing and diff do not. The bearing in PJK3's trans isn't the 1st one to fail either. I've rebuilt another trans for the same problem.

The issue with taking it to another dealer is the a private inspector from Hondacare has already seen the car. On HC claims over a certain $$ amout an inspector is automatically sent to look at the car. I'm actually surprised that they didn't have a mandatory tear down to inspect the damage before the inspector showed.

Switching dealers won't change HC's mind, as they have an open contact on the car now.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:45 PM

That is very odd, that the differential was not even removed and opened for inspection. All the inspectors I have EVER dealt with have ALWAYS required the engine, trans., etc. to be out and ready for inspection. Still doesn't make sense that they would void the agreement just for a cai, I wonder if you can argue proof that the cai caused the damage. Also ask why the other items were covered on the driveline and now all of a sudden they are not covering the diff. I still think you need to pursue this to someone higher in the co. (Hondacare).
Old 08-31-2006, 04:19 PM
Ek9
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know. If you pull chunks of metal out of the drain plug, I'm not sure how much inspecting you really need.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:32 PM

Uh, I don't know . Maybe cause they're looking for a causal failure- i.e.-bearing failure, lsd failure or gear failure. Warrany co's will not do squat until they know what caused the problem. They also usually ask for service records also.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:53 PM

working my way down....

Originally Posted by soozookabluS2k,Aug 30 2006, 08:23 PM
sucks to hear man, im glad i didnt purchase that warranty. It seems like they dont wanna cover anything ever..wut good is it..
not true.

i've had several thousand in repairs covered and paid just at $1000 for the warranty. i've gotten my money back on my original purchase.

if i had abused the car or performed some action or modification that caused this - i wouldn't be upset about this issue -- i'd suck it up.

but in this case, the terms of their denial (as explained to me) violate the terms of our contract - and THAT is simply WRONG.
[QUOTE]Section IV:
Old 09-02-2006, 07:49 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

Let me know if I can help, You should see what kind of a PITA it is for dealer employees to get goodwill consideration
Old 09-02-2006, 09:49 PM

thanks Chris...

and Honda doesn't need to give you guys goodwill -- yall make all kinds of money... right?

my hope that the differential unit itself is solid internally is higher now... having finally been able to see the drain plug and knowing that i have fingernail cutting size chips vs "fingertip size chunks" -- it gives me some hope for the core being somewhat salvagable. and if it's salvageable, i may end up keeping it as a 2nd for some "fun."

regardless, one of our more popular sponsors here has stepped up and made some very handsome offerings based upon my posts and our past friendship. as that pans out, i'll provide more info. they deserve and will get mucho kudos when the time comes.

Quick Reply: Differential Dead -- HondaCare denies coverage