S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

different "card in the spokes" sound

Old 09-16-2008, 08:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default different "card in the spokes" sound

For the past couple of years, I've had an on-and-off problem with a sound that seems to be the TCT. However, I've never had it as a function of a cold startup but when running at normal speeds (usually when warm but not always). I've replaced the TCT twice now, including one less than a month ago. It's now making the noise again, with a twist - it used to be only on increasing engine speed, it now has a noise on deceleration. I can get the noise to happen when both driving as well as at a rest. The increasing engine speed seems like TCT noise (card in the spokes) which the new decelerating noise is more like a random minor clunk, as if the culprit only gets hit once in a while (maybe a couple times per second or less). To make it more exasperating, I can't hear it from the front of the engine but can when seated in the car. It's almost like it's something at the rear of the engine but I wouldn't bet my life on it. One might even think that there was something trapped between the engine and floor/firewall transmitting noise into the cockpit. BTW, pushing the clutch in makes no difference at all.

So, the noise seems to be getting worse - it now has a deceleration component to it. I'm open to any guesses and suggestions...
Old 09-16-2008, 08:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you can get it to happen while at rest, you should be able to determine for certain if it's the TCT... simply listen to the TCT with an automotive stethoscope or similar device.

Have you considered the possibility of it being a rattling heatshield? Maybe from the cat which sits pretty much right under the passenger floorboard? It would also move as the engine torques, which might change the sound it makes.

Also.. have you ever lost an oil cap? I seem to remember reading that this usually gets lodged behind the engine and might make a similar sound.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:15 PM

You made me look.

I used the old "screwdriver as a stethoscope" trick and found no noise at the TCT. The car was just idling and there was the rattle going on so I decided to look between the firewall and engine. What do I find? A friggin' bolt backed out from the bell housing! I had the clutch replaced at ~36k miles for the disc rattle TSB and they apparently never tightened at least that one bolt to spec, allowing it to back out. It's at the dealer now, hopefully having all the bolts tightened.

Fer chrissake...
Old 09-16-2008, 12:17 PM

BTW... depending on which bolt it is, I believe krazik claims that one of the bolts aren't really necessary. He had an old thread somewhere about how he couldn't reach it so he just left it out, but I'm too lazy to try and dig it up. So far, I haven't heard of any calamaties resulting from this "mod".
Old 09-17-2008, 02:46 AM

Hmmm... That would be interesting. I seem to recall that thread - just didn't think it was for the bell housing. I'll hafta dig that up.

This bolt was at the top, just to the passenger's side of center. They tightened it without doing anything to be able to get to it properly, just added some Loctite to the threads to keep it from backing out. The service writer told me that it had been 30k miles since they replaced the clutch and that things sometimes just loosen. I responded with something like "Not if it's torqued properly." He shrugged...
Old 09-17-2008, 03:08 AM

Found it:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...f=133&t=356924

It's a starter bolt he leaves out...
Old 09-17-2008, 05:11 AM

[QUOTE=jguerdat,Sep 17 2008, 04:46 AM] The service writer told me that it had been 30k miles since they replaced the clutch and that things sometimes just loosen.