S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

difference in F20c and K20a

Old 09-18-2008, 07:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by N2oExpresS2k,Sep 18 2008, 12:28 PM
Yes, but that graph is running a gt30r at a higher psi which would make the graph different than if it were using a gt35r at a nice low psi. Regardless, there's no way to compare them unless you put a K series tranny on an F or you put an F series tranny on a K. The drivetrain loss, like S2Kage pointed out is much higher on an S2 than it is in a fwd car.
its really not that high. you make it seem like drivetrain loss makes the s2k lose 20whp more than the FWD k-powered car. the difference might be 10-15whp at most. additionaly, the k-series car is handicapped in that its FWD so you could say any additional drivetrain loss from a RWD car is moot.

my opinion

k-series > f-series.

however.

s2k chassis and RWD > any other honda chassis (minus the NSX) and FWD. if these cars had a k-series, it would really be a whole different game.

ibangrys2kfanboysgetmadatmefornotsayingf>all.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree they are both great motors but i still think the k-series is making more power then the f-series. You can easily get 300whp not something easily done on an F-series. The I-vtec helps. The f-series has been out 10 years now so there is no excuse about not have the parts to make the power. I'm sorry but K-series is a better motor. The S2k is the better car
Old 09-18-2008, 09:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by S2Kage,Sep 18 2008, 10:53 AM
jzz30 YOU dont get it... It doesnt matter if they were the same kit. Theres WAY too many factors involved in dyno tuning for you to compare charts from different cars.
anyone that has been around dyno charts will look at the graph i posted and say that the power band on the k is better than the f. you are just not looking at it logicaly. you own an s2000 and you automaticaly want to think that its better than the k20. different dyno or not look at the graph. if you dont know what im talking about you obviously lack the experience. i work in this industry of modifying cars, and dyno tuning in house its my job to be able to look at things without bias which it looks like you cant.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

uhm I have a k20 94 EG so yeah...

theres no way you "work in the industry" especially if you think comparing 2 completely different dyno charts. I understand what your saying about the power band but trying to compare the 2 is ridiculous... you have no idea which car was built for what. Theres TOO MANY variables involved.

The F series is a better engine from honda... the K-series has more mods available/more tuners working on it. This comparison is now a bitter argument against who likes what. There is no "Real" information in any of this thread.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea and what do you do? of course you can compare dyno charts. regardless where it comes from. they arent that different. after all its just a measurement of power. it doesnt matter what platform the car is. how the power gets to the wheels wont change the shape of the curve. the magnitude will change slightly. and yes it is a "who likes what" argument more or less like the ap1 v.s. ap2
so what are the pro's and cons of each engine?
K-series has i-vtec, responds well to mods
the con would be that it has lower factory hp and the bottom end isnt as ridgid as the F
the F-series head flows more than K, the bottom end is more ridgid than the K. the cons are that it doesnt have i-vtec, doesnt respond well to bolt ons.
all i think im saying is i wish the F2xc had i-vtec
Old 09-19-2008, 03:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by k24accord,Sep 18 2008, 07:23 PM
k-series > f-series.

however.

s2k chassis and RWD > any other honda chassis (minus the NSX) and FWD. if these cars had a k-series, it would really be a whole different game.
Whole different game huh.. Your ignorant and really love your K series motor.. You only have to look at the stock to stock comparison to see what motor is superior. The F22 is making at the wheels from the factory what it takes a civic SI I/H/E and a stand alone engine management + tuning to do. That's before you calculate in the much shorter gears and much less drivetrain loss as well. Yes the chassis is superior than a FWD one. No I'm not biased because I drive the S. I wouldn't mind droping a K series in my CRX and ditching the turbo single cam.. I've just learned already that spending anymore money on the fwd car is just a waste when the S2k will make full use of any power/money you put into it.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:19 AM

First I have never lost a race to an RSX type S and the majority of them werent even close so saying there are like 20 fast rsx's to 1 fast s2000 is just ignorant. My car isnt even close to be like alot of these turbo and supercharged guys.

Before I upgraded my boost I raced a friend of mine with the CT roots blower on his 03 type s with my stock vortech kit and put bus lengths on him.

Fact is the F20 can make over 500whp+ on stock engine with a turbo setup, head gasket and tune. If you do the same mods on a k20 you will not see a 300whp+ increase like you would with the f20.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by shawnAMT,Sep 19 2008, 04:19 AM
so saying there are like 20 fast rsx's to 1 fast s2000 is just ignorant.
It's 30 now btw. lmao

[QUOTE=k24accord,Sep 18 2008, 07:23 PM]
Old 09-19-2008, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by N2oExpresS2k,Sep 17 2008, 12:51 PM
Not exactly an improvement IMO.
Originally Posted by k24accord,Sep 17 2008, 10:55 PM
thats highly opinionated IMO.

does anyone else see the pure hilarity in this post + reply?? Lets spell out the abbreviations.

Not exactly an improvement in my opinion
thats highly opinionated in my opinion

on topic...having now read the whole thread... the arguments for the K from that camp are:
-more low end power
-more torque
-more power out of simple mods

thats all fine and good but the S wasn't designed for any of those reasons. it was designed as a sports car, one that can easily run with the big boys on a track. a track with turns. the last time I was on a track i was never out of vtec... which means low end power = useless for me. the extra weight involved in adding the low end power, on the other hand, would hurt my performance. so i'd rather keep my F.

if you want to drag your car, and you need that wider powerband, fine, the K is better for that application. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it. also on a car designed for normal street use low end power is much more important, hence the K being in so many other hondas.

Both engines are great for what they were designed to do. the F is perfect for the S2k though, and that's why honda put it in there...
Old 09-19-2008, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by thebig33tuna,Sep 19 2008, 05:40 AM
Both engines are great for what they were designed to do. the F is perfect for the S2k though, and that's why honda put it in there...

Quick Reply: difference in F20c and K20a