S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Diff serviced today...

Old 12-04-2007, 03:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SpitfireS,Dec 3 2007, 07:41 AM
guilty based on the one fingerprint on the murder weapon......

A- Well.. it's all I could find and I've been reading on some internet forum that people say its ok to use but I never bothered to read that part of my manaul....
I'm sorry, I hadn't read EVERY post on the forum yet, so I hadn't seen the UOA. So I take there ARE users experiencing diff failures with multi-visc synthetics? If that's the case, then I'll get on it before I, too, experience problems.

Look, GD, I READ the owners manual the morning after buying the car. I love how much good info they put in there for owners, but sadly most American owners probably won't read or use it. The spec lube wasn't available. Now, as far as the choice of lube; Yes, 'some guy' on some web forum said it was ok. But, you know, 'some guy' in that same forum is also flaming me for it. Who do you trust, 'some guy' or 'some guy'? No, there wasn't only ONE 'some guy' stating the 75w-90 synth would be ok. Look, man, the Honda dealer where I went to get parts had the cabin filter, air filter, the newer version MTF, but no gear lube in anything other than the 5-gallon bucket they use for service. I still wanted to service the diff, so I bought what was purported by users on this forum as an acceptible substitute. I don't want to wreck my diff, I'm no GD punk kid who can't find the crack in his own ass, and I don't need someone flaming me for following guidance given in the largest web community I've ever known of, which just happens to be for the benefit of S2K owners. If an owner can't get good info here, what's the use?
Old 12-04-2007, 04:05 AM

The Honda Dealers where I live service with GL5 80w-90 Quaker State conventional gear oil, although I do it myself.

M1 GL5 75w-90 here yo.

Old 12-04-2007, 04:06 AM

I'll prolly blow an engine before the diff goes

Old 12-04-2007, 05:24 AM

I suppose that if there are failures with the Red Line 75W-90, that would lend some credence to AMSOIL's study of gear lubes. It was an interesting read, but I have to think that there was at least SOME bias toward their own product. As for the Castrol, it failed only one test in AMSOIL's study, that test being the foam test on new oil. It did, however, pass the foam test on used oil. Of all the oils tested, only two passed all tests; one 75W-90 (amsoil) and one 80W-90 (castrol hypoy c). Would you think these tests are conclusive enough to make sound assumptions about the manufacturer's other grades of gear oils?

BTW, the Mobil 1 75W-90 finished second in AMSOIL's study, failing only the viscosity after shear test.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would not take the AMSOIL white paper as gospel. But it is the most comprehensive test of the most popular gear oils out there. There is an extensive discussion to that effect over on BITOG, if you want to look into it further.
It's true that M1 75W90 did quite well. I see nothing wrong with the UOA that XViper posted on here a few years back either. It is a very popular lube for many on this forum, and I see no reason for you to think it will fail in the S2000.
The AMSOIL SVG came out on top, but I don't think it's there best gear oil for the S2000. Have a look at their SVT 75W110 GL5. I think that one is a better choice.
I wish they would have included a test of the fluids' propensity to climb high offset gears. I have been skeptical of full synthetic gear oils ability to do this very well.
Since I use LE 607 and will have to make a switch on my next drain and fill, I will try LE 1605. Our differential only holds 0.82 quarts of oil and it has a lot of work to do. I think using the highest quality gear oil in your diff that you can afford is important.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by SpitfireS,Dec 3 2007, 01:41 AM
My grandfather lived to be 87, smoking 2 packs a day = smoking must be healthy.

Yo dude, I go through two lighters a day.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:39 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

To S2Nice
S2Nice Posted on Dec 4 2007, 02:49 PM
Now, as far as the choice of lube; Yes, 'some guy' on some web forum said it was ok. But, you know, 'some guy' in that same forum is also flaming me for it. Who do you trust, 'some guy' or 'some guy'?
Reading this by itself: you have a point.
But... one of the "one guys" was referring to the owners manual, that's all he did.
If you feel flamed by someone saying that.. I guess the shoe fitted
IMO, availability is a non-argument.

BIG question is: What Would You Use The Next Time?

INDYMAC Posted on Dec 4 2007, 05:27 PM
I wish they would have included a test of the fluids' propensity to climb high offset gears.
With "high offset" they mean the centre of the pinion is well below the centre of the ring.

The pinion is submerged in oil.
Oil climbing the gears is IMO not that important in that case.
Our differential only holds 0.82 quarts of oil and it has a lot of work to do. I think using the highest quality gear oil in your diff that you can afford is important.

Maybe we should stop this discission with your quote?
Maybe I should just

Old 12-04-2007, 06:41 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

RACER Posted on Dec 4 2007, 05:37 PM
Yo dude, I go through two lighters a day.
Smokin' these I suppose

Old 12-04-2007, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by INDYMAC,Dec 4 2007, 07:27 AM
Our differential only holds 0.82 quarts of oil and it has a lot of work to do.
I got the whole quart in my diff

Old 12-04-2007, 06:28 PM

[QUOTE=SpitfireS,Dec 3 2007, 07:41 AM].....
Q - What diff oil do you use?
A - 75W-90
Q - Why?
A - Well.. it's all I could find and I've been reading on some internet forum

Quick Reply: Diff serviced today...