S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Diff is rebuilt but i need to know a few things to re-install. Please Read and Post.

Old 05-21-2004, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diff is rebuilt but i need to know a few things to re-install. Please Read and Post.

What is the torque specs for 6 drive shaft botls and the half shaft bolts and specific order if any.

The bolts that hold the diff to rear mount if any.

My torque wrench goes to 250 ft lbs i hope this is enough.

How long do i run the new fluid before a change for break in. I used same LSD so I shouldnt need to do figure 8's right.

Thanks in advance.

Red
Old 05-21-2004, 03:33 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Those figure of "8s" are only for diffs with clutch packs and friction modifiers. We don't have that in our cars.
Prop shaft bolts (hex head) = 24 ft/lbs.
Output shaft to half shaft bolts/nuts = 61 ft/lbs.
(I'd snug the above down evenly, then torque them to spec in a criss-cross fashion.)
Diff to mount bolts = 47 ft/lbs.
I suggest a change of diff fluid after a couple thousand miles, then annually after that, unless you track the car.
Old 05-21-2004, 07:36 PM

thanks, but i think i messed up a cv joint putting it in......some grease oozed out and there is a thump...is this diff or bad or seperated cv joinmt...thoughts please.

red
Old 05-21-2004, 07:55 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by REDS2KCA
thanks, but i think i messed up a cv joint putting it in......some grease oozed out and there is a thump...is this diff or bad
Old 05-21-2004, 08:27 PM

when i was installing the diff pumpkin i had one side with the half shaft installed and it fell and i think it pop the seal on the inner CV joint and some grease oozed out, i just kinda pushed it back together and kept going with diff install.

So my ? is can i just get that inner cv sealed again or do i need a new one i guess, and is that what is most likly thumping...or did the mechanic do porely on the diff install and the thumping is bad preload or back lash setting....this was not easy getting in there so i really dont want to take it out...

It does drive fine just has that thump .....
Old 05-21-2004, 08:42 PM

The thumping, I can't be sure without hearing it. It is possible that the CV was not put together in the exact same way before it separated.
If it was just a small amount of grease that fell out, don't worry about it. Just make sure the boot is fully seated and the band is tightened. If a significant amount came out, it must be loaded up again and the only way to do this is to take the CV apart (either on or off the car), more grease pushed in and a new band installed.
Old 05-22-2004, 05:18 AM

It is only a small amount of grease (thumb tack size).

I jacked up car last night and ran it in 1st and the wheel is moving all over the place and so is the diff. The other wheel spinning true. I think the CV joint must not be seated right or lined up something is way out of balance.

If i need to fix the CV how do i get it out without removing the Diff again or the suspension...trying to avaoid an alignment.

I guess any ideas would be helpful.

When i replaced these inner CV joint the labor was only $100US so is there really that much to do.
Old 05-22-2004, 05:31 AM

do i have to get a new band for the boot and is there a special tool to tighten.
Old 05-22-2004, 11:34 AM

bump
Old 05-22-2004, 01:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by REDS2KCA
do i have to get a new band for the boot and

Quick Reply: Diff is rebuilt but i need to know a few things to re-install. Please Read and Post.