S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Diff parts necessary

Old 03-30-2015, 09:32 PM

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Diff parts necessary

Okay, I've been looking and looking and can't find the answer.

I need to replace my diff. The shop I use, (VERY high-performance. S2k was the low end of the clientele), at the end of a clutch replacement, took me under the car and showed me the crack from side to side on the housing. Said "it's the worst one I've seen". Told me to take it very easy. Okay, I'm doing that.

But in searching the site, I can't find, for the life of me, a parts list for a diff replacement! I can find LOTS of discussions of which parts to use, but I want to know everything I need to crawl under the car and get this job done! And I can't find it! I'm NOT looking for recommendations. That discussion is well-represented here. Not looking to open that Pandora's box! Just WHAT parts are needed to buy to get the job done without a trip to the parts store and a half-day delay! :-)

It's not to say that the list isn't here somewhere. Please tell me where!!

I need a parts list for a diff replacement. Can any of you help? It's an 06, AP2 BTW.

Thanks!

Rick
Old 03-30-2015, 10:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...R+DIFFERENTIAL

This link is for stock 06 differential.
I do not understand your question, are you looking for the parts list for differential or are you asking us what needs to be replaced?
If first, link should be the thing you are looking for.
If second, you need to tell more about what is the problem.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:50 PM

Yeah, my apologies. I'll try to make it more clear.

I'm needing to replace the diff with something more robust with tighter tolerances to avoid blowing it up. I'm going to go with the CT Engineering Competition Reinforced Differential Housing. http://bit.ly/1F0Y4so

In addition to that part, I will need the case, as it's cracked. But beyond those two items, I don't know what more I need when I replace the diff with the CT one. Maybe I need seals, bolts, gaskets, some other parts I don't know of..... I just haven't done this job before and want to know my "parts list" to do the swap. I don't need to know all the parts in the diff.

Does that clarify?

I'd appreciate any help!

Rick
Old 04-01-2015, 08:34 PM

Anyone??
Old 04-01-2015, 09:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a good DIY on here about rebuilding the differential. I'd use that as a reference point.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:47 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

All you need is S2KPUDDYDAD for your diff.

Search for the name and PM him.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:41 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Do you have a picture of what you saw? Sounds odd that you need to replace the diff because of a crack that was visible. If you had a crack in the case, the oil could have drained. I have seen one cracked in 1/2, and that was really rare. If your housing is cracked, CT will not take it as a core.

You can buy a used diff for around 500 from a junk yard or s2ki member. That is another cheap option.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:35 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Buy a used diff and swap it in or S2KPUDDYDAD for a built diff.

/thread.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Stratocaster
Do you have a picture of what you saw? Sounds odd that you need to replace the diff because of a crack that was visible. If you had a crack in the case, the oil could have drained. I have seen one cracked in 1/2, and that was really rare. If your housing is cracked, CT will not take it as a core.

You can buy a used diff for around 500 from a junk yard or s2ki member. That is another cheap option.

No, the case is cracked, not the housing. Side to side, through all the fins. Hard to see, as it isn't separated yet. It was on a lift and I was nose-to-nose with the diff and it took a few seconds to zero in on it, and I was told it was there! But the whole diff needs replacing. I just need to source a case and whatever other parts I'll need for the swap, (thus the reason for the post).
Old 04-02-2015, 09:04 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

So if the aluminum rear cover is your issue, it is cast and there are flaws in the casting that might look like cracks. You can simply replace the cover. That would be the cover the and two output stub shaft seals.

If you are dead set on upgrading the diff, and the CT housing is what you are going to use, you need both the inter and outer pinion bearing, pinion seal and lock nut. Changing the carrier bearing should not be needed.

Really the stock diff will perform well for a street and track driven car for years. You are telling us you need to replace the diff, but why?

Quick Reply: Diff parts necessary