S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Diff Oil Question (yes I searched)

Old 03-29-2006, 03:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=Jsmply,Mar 29 2006, 04:02 PM] I've been up in the air on this, but I think the bottom line is we need to weigh the credentials of our sources.

Road Rage seems to be an oil chemist and work for a company that does such things, he claims that everything in LE607 is much closer to the factory fill than Mobile 75w90 and that in extreme heat the mobile fluid cannot hold up like LE can.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xviper,Mar 29 2006, 07:37 AM
I do not share in your conclusion. To date, noone has provided any proof of this "superiority" in the way of a used fluid analysis on the LE product where it has been in the diff for a standard service interval. Note that Honda has recommended that the diff fluid be a "GL-5" rating. LE607 carries no such rating. Nor do I believe for a second that it is an SAE 90 wt. fluid. I'm not saying that LE is not a good fluid for our application, but I certainly can't say this with any sort of proof. And we can't even say that there has been no failures with LE because there has been reports of such failures.
"The proof is in the pudding". I still invite submissions of proof.

In a PM sent to me lately, an owner reported that a dealer did a diff fluid change (old LE out, new LE in). This individual live in about the same sort of climate as you. It was noted that the old fluid came out with extreme difficulty and in globs and lumps. The new stuff was equally difficult to put in. Granted, the fluid change should have been done after the diff was heated up and the new fluid heated up before attempting to load it into the diff. But this just shows you how thick this fluid is. For a climate where the car may be used in cooler seasons, even Road Rage (the resident oil expert who was the "founder" of the LE607 fluid for our application) indicated that it would NOT be prudent to use this fluid in the cooler driving environments.

Honda recommends an SAE 90 wt. GL-5, but Honda car division does NOT have an SAE 90 wt. GL-5 in their parts bin. We are left to go to their motorcycle division or find another suitable fluid that has the same rating.
in this quote he said: "I'm not saying that LE is not a good fluid for our application, but I certainly can't say this with any sort of proof. And we can't even say that there has been no failures with LE because there has been reports of such failures."

what kind of failure if not a diff failure
Old 03-29-2006, 03:14 PM

Road rage no longer posts here? I did not realize this?
Old 03-29-2006, 03:26 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by halllex,Mar 29 2006, 03:58 PM
xviper--please post the link to proof that LE607 caused diff failure
Dear God, where in this statement do you get that I said that LE607 "caused" diff failures?

And we can't even say that there has been no failures with LE because there has been reports of such failures.
Either you are suffering from extreme paranoia or you haven't quite grasped the concept of reading comprehension. But no, I don't have to "prove" anything of the sort because I did NOT say that "LE causes diff failures". I said that there have been reported cases on this forum where diffs have failed when LE was in the casing. THIS does NOT mean that LE "caused" it.
There have been diff failures while the stock fluid was in there. And diff failures while Mobil 1 has been in there and other brands of GL5 fluid. Does this mean that the stock fluid, Mobil 1, other fluids, have CAUSED these failures? NO!
I "think" it was Stratocaster who posted that he knew of such cases. And again, no, I won't spend my time searching through hundreds of threads to find that for you just so I can "prove" something to you that I NEVER said.

As for Road Rage, his recommendations can be taken as solid and genuine. I only stated that I wish someone would come forth and do a used fluid analysis on the LE product JUST like it has been done for Mobil 1, Shockproof, etc. All I'm saying is that before we proclaim that LE 607 is the "BEST" fluid out there for our diffs, let's see what an analysis might tell us. For all we know, it may turn out to be on par with Mobil 1, for our diffs, for the way we drive the car. Does that mean we should proclaim Mobil 1 as the "BEST" fluid till proof comes along that LE is better? Again, NO!

Please don't take stuff out of context and jump to conclusions that weren't made.

ps. Let's bring back the original statement that I responded to:
it is obvious that LE-607 is the most superior diff oil for the S2000
My point: It is not obvious to me that LE 607 is the most superior diff fluid for our cars.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Harpoon,Mar 29 2006, 05:04 PM
One thing that does make me comfortable with LE-607 is that many of the track junkies use it.
I'm not undermining your "comfort level" with this post, only to add a supplemental to it.

"Track junkies", by virtue of the fact they run their cars hard and in concentrated bursts, generally will do more frequent maintenance on their cars. The rest of us, who may go 10K to 15K or more miles between diff fluid changes must ask ourselves it those same track junkies (who haven't blown up their cars yet) also do diff fluid changes at the same intervals. Or can we imagine that they do these changes much more frequently.

For example, Redline Shockproof may be a great diff fluid for hard track use, but I have shown that it simply does not last. Over a short period of about 2500 miles, an analysis showed that it was almost to the end of it's lifespan. But while it was in its "prime", it performed extremely well.
My point is that what "track junkies" use may not necessarily be acceptable for a daily street driven car.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by xviper,Mar 29 2006, 04:26 PM
Dear God, where in this statement do you get that I said that LE607 "caused" diff failures?

Either you are suffering from extreme paranoia or you haven't quite grasped the concept of reading comprehension. But no, I don't have to "prove" anything of the sort because I did NOT say that "LE causes diff failures". I said that there have been reported cases on this forum where diffs have failed when LE was in the casing. THIS does NOT mean that LE "caused" it.
There have been diff failures while the stock fluid was in there. And diff failures while Mobil 1 has been in there and other brands of GL5 fluid. Does this mean that the stock fluid, Mobil 1, other fluids, have CAUSED these failures? NO!
I "think" it was Stratocaster who posted that he knew of such cases. And again, no, I won't spend my time searching through hundreds of threads to find that for you just so I can "prove" something to you that I NEVER said.

As for Road Rage, his recommendations can be taken as solid and genuine. I only stated that I wish someone would come forth and do a used fluid analysis on the LE product JUST like it has been done for Mobil 1, Shockproof, etc. All I'm saying is that before we proclaim that LE 607 is the "BEST" fluid out there for our diffs, let's see what an analysis might tell us. For all we know, it may turn out to be on par with Mobil 1, for our diffs, for the way we drive the car. Does that mean we should proclaim Mobil 1 as the "BEST" fluid till proof comes along that LE is better? Again, NO!

Please don't take stuff out of context and jump to conclusions that weren't made.
Thank you for clearing that up for me--I thought you knew of a specific case.
I am parinoid by the way
Old 03-29-2006, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by xviper,Mar 29 2006, 04:36 PM
I'm not undermining your "comfort level" with this post, only to add a supplemental to it.

"Track junkies", by virtue of the fact they run their cars hard and in concentrated bursts, generally will do more frequent maintenance on their cars. The rest of us, who may go 10K to 15K or more miles between diff fluid changes must ask ourselves it those same track junkies (who haven't blown up their cars yet) also do diff fluid changes at the same intervals. Or can we imagine that they do these changes much more frequently.

For example, Redline Shockproof may be a great diff fluid for hard track use, but I have shown that it simply does not last. Over a short period of about 2500 miles, an analysis showed that it was almost to the end of it's lifespan. But while it was in its "prime", it performed extremely well.
My point is that what "track junkies" use may not necessarily be acceptable for a daily street driven car.
Agreed - I almost added the disclaimer that those guys switch out the fluid often - just got lazy.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Jsmply,Mar 29 2006, 04:14 PM
Road rage no longer posts here? I did not realize this?
Unless I'm not able to read the "find all posts by this member" function - his last post was in January. The frequency of his posts dropped off quite a bit last year.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by halllex,Mar 29 2006, 05:40 PM
I am parinoid by the way
Fair enough.

Ordinarily, it's not such a bad thing to be a little paranoid. It keeps most of us out of trouble. However, in the case of the S2000, there are so many quirks and idiosyncracies with it, that we can very easily get swept up with what to do and what not to do to keep it in fine shape.

I think where many of us should be the most paranoid what happens to our cars inside the service bay of your average Honda dealership. They'll treat the car like it was a Civic or CRV.

All I (and others) try to do on this forum is to try and find a little moderate ground when opinions and preconceptions go off the deep end. Sometimes a "DANGER, WILL ROBINSON" must be declared while at other times, suggesting a more relaxed and calming approach would be in order.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Harpoon,Mar 29 2006, 06:00 PM
Unless I'm not able to read the "find all posts by this member" function - his last post was in January. The frequency of his posts dropped off quite a bit last year.
Although I think he kept his S2000, he bought another little toy (can't recall what at this time). He may have just lost some interest in the S2000 community. During his time here, he contributed immensely to this site. It was purely because of him that I started the "Oil Journals" when I was moderator.

Quick Reply: Diff Oil Question (yes I searched)