S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Diff groaning and car resists when pulling out from stop

Old 09-06-2016, 05:05 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Diff groaning and car resists when pulling out from stop

I searched the hundreds of diff topics, but nothing really matched my symptoms. My car is an AP1, but is supposed to have an AP2 diff.

Occasionally, my car will make a groaning noise, and it feels like something is holding the car back when trying to pull out in 1st gear. I can still pull out, but it requires more throttle than normal. The noise it makes isn't a slight groan. It is very pronounced and loud. The moment I get moving, everything is fine. I have no noises while turning at low speed or anything like that. The only time I can be sure to replicate it is in bumper to bumper traffic. It seems like when I start and stop a bunch of times in a row is when it happens. I live in a more rural area, and I don't see heavy traffic normally.

It happen sometimes just randomly, but that's very uncommon. Maybe a few times a year. The diff had fresh oil from the previous owner when I bought the car. I recently just changed the oil also. There were some shavings on the drain plug, but not so much that it concerns me.

Any ideas what the issue could be?
Old 09-06-2016, 06:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you checked to make sure your calipers are all free and not bound. Sounds like a caliper/piston issue vs diff
Old 09-06-2016, 10:16 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by pmptx
Have you checked to make sure your calipers are all free and not bound. Sounds like a caliper/piston issue vs diff
X2 pull rims off and try to spin to see if there free.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:58 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Had a similar issue with the wifes MDX.

RF caliper was seized.

Old 09-06-2016, 12:14 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, but the brakes are all free. I just had the car on stands going over a ton of unrelated stuff, but I would have noticed them sticking.
Old 09-06-2016, 03:32 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Wheel bearing on it's way out / seizing ?

My just the e-brake hanging and not the hydro in the rear calipers?
Old 09-07-2016, 04:30 AM

The rotors were turning freely when it was on stands. Is it possible for the brake to only hang up intermittently, even when it's not in use? I don't know how you could diagnose it if that's the case - it's always fine by the time I get home. I never seem to have a problem in the morning when the e-brake has been on all night. It's just so weird how it usually only happens after starting and stopping several times.
Old 09-07-2016, 04:31 AM

Not sure about the wheel bearing. I don't have that "whirring" noise that I've had with bad bearings in the past. I'll check for wheel wobble and see if I have any.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:09 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Originally Posted by Holeshot121
The rotors were turning freely when it was on stands. Is it possible for the brake to only hang up intermittently, even when it's not in use? I don't know how you could diagnose it if that's the case - it's always fine by the time I get home. I never seem to have a problem in the morning when the e-brake has been on all night. It's just so weird how it usually only happens after starting and stopping several times.
Maybe the discs are not true. And the thickness imperfections are exaggerated under heated conditions? Causing pucks to rub.

Just a WAG.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:11 AM

Received 208 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Holeshot121
I searched the hundreds of diff topics, but nothing really matched my symptoms. My car is an AP1, but is supposed to have an AP2 diff.

Occasionally, my car will make a groaning noise, and it feels like something is holding the car back when trying to pull out in 1st gear. I can still pull out, but it requires more throttle than normal. The noise it makes isn't a slight groan. It is very pronounced and loud. The moment I get moving, everything is fine. I have no noises while turning at low speed or anything like that. The only time I can be sure to replicate it is in bumper to bumper traffic. It seems like when I start and stop a bunch of times in a row is when it happens. I live in a more rural area, and I don't see heavy traffic normally.

It happen sometimes just randomly, but that's very uncommon. Maybe a few times a year. The diff had fresh oil from the previous owner when I bought the car. I recently just changed the oil also. There were some shavings on the drain plug, but not so much that it concerns me.

Any ideas what the issue could be?
If there were metal shavings on the drain plug then that might mean one of the cogs in the diff have worn badly?

Quick Reply: Diff groaning and car resists when pulling out from stop