S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Diff Fluid

Old 02-14-2011, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diff Fluid

I've used the new "beta search" tool that sure is a lot better than the old search tool, but have not found an answer.

There are a lot of opinions about differential fluids, but I need to change my daughter's diff fluid for no-track, no-winter, Minnesota Spring, Summer, and Fall.

So it never gets very warm but it seems to me that a 75w140 wouldn't be a bad idea in any case since the low temp viscosity is 75.

Hers is a MY01 with 100k miles and I'm thinking of changing to a Royal Purple 75w140. I could also do a Royal Purple 75w90 but my local yokels don't have the 75w110.

Is there any downside to using the heavier oil in colder temps? Since it's a 75w, I assume that it never gets thicker than straight 75w and the extra additives and protection are worth it.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or feedback - there are a lot of threads about diff lubes for track, hi-temp, and other special conditions - but this will be a "cool weather" DD with little or no winter "e.g., cold" driving.

Any thoughts appreciated.

EDIT: we bought it about a year ago with 90k miles and had to rebuild the transmission because the a**hole that owned it before used ATF or something similar. I don't know whether the diff fluid has been changed, but that's why I'm digging into it before she moves it to Minnesota. The tranny is now OK with Honda MTF.

EDIT2:Before you flame for negligent maintenance, she lived in Dallas and I am in Houston (Bellaire) so I have had limited opportunity to have my hands on the car. I now have it for a few weeks for a "catch up" maintenance before she takes it to Minnesota, so there are limits to what I can do (I don't have a heated or "lift" garage and the low temperatures have been in the mid-20s).

So, I think I have a week to complete the appropriate maintenance before it gets driven to Minnesota.
ANY SUGGESTIONS are welcome.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:57 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

My next fill will be with Amsoil 75W110, so I'd rec'd that - find a local dealer to get it to you.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Feb 14 2011, 11:57 AM
My next fill will be with Amsoil 75W110, so I'd rec'd that - find a local dealer to get it to you.
+1
Old 02-14-2011, 11:50 AM

I'd do the basic stuff:

Trans (you did already)
engine oil (something good: amsoil/syntec/M1EP)
differential fluid (M1/syntec/amsoil) I would personally not go with RP..just a preconceived notion that they suck...and anecdotal evidence to back it up

check tires/brakes for even wear/low tread/friction material

check for a leaky radiator

check and possibly change the spark plugs to the proper NGK iridiums.

Thats all I can possibly think of that are known to go bad in the S2000. teach your daughter how to check the engine oil every other gas fill up. A low oil engine = death for the F20.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:58 PM

OK, so Amsoil or LE best, M1 ok, RP not so much. She has replaced tires and I have hammered her about checking the oil level EVERY fill-up even though she's not heavy into VTEC. I'll keep looking around for Amsoil, LE, or M1 diff fluid.

THANKS FOR THE TIPS!!!

Any others are welcome - particularly sources for Amsoil or LE in Houston.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:08 PM

Since you only need one quart why not buy directly from amsoil. If you were a user of there products it would then be to your benefit to become a preferred customer.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:22 PM

RP?
Old 02-14-2011, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by idea-catalyst,Feb 14 2011, 01:58 PM
OK, so Amsoil or LE best, M1 ok, RP not so much. She has replaced tires and I have hammered her about checking the oil level EVERY fill-up even though she's not heavy into VTEC. I'll keep looking around for Amsoil, LE, or M1 diff fluid.

THANKS FOR THE TIPS!!!

Any others are welcome - particularly sources for Amsoil or LE in Houston.
where can I find amsoil or le in Houston?
Old 02-14-2011, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by whiteboyjoe2000,Feb 14 2011, 02:22 PM
RP?
I've heard more "not good" things about RP than "good things". More info would be appreciated, but the consensus on this forum seems to be for Amsoil, LE, or Mobil 1 and not for RP.

Thoughts, Comments?
Old 02-14-2011, 02:23 PM

Thats what I believe. Also, since you're looking at longer change intervals make sure you use m1 extended performance for the engine..a couple bucks more but its supposedly a lot better

Quick Reply: Diff Fluid