S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Diff or axle?

Old 07-21-2007, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diff or axle?

Hey guys,

Well something has gone wrong with my car. Last night while I was driving at a pretty normal speed I heard a sort of a "thwang" like something snapping but it was a bit high pitched and then a hissing sound like something was depressurizing.

Then I started to hear a clicking/knocking noise which I originally thought was a flat tyre. I pulled over and checked the car but tyres were fine and revving the engine was no problem.

So I kept going and the clicking noise continued. It was as if every rotations of the wheels was causing it because even just rolling it would click/knock and get faster as I sped up.

I ended up getting onto a highway doing about 80km/h (not sure in miles) and any time I touched the accelerator it would make a TERRIBLE rapid knocking noise. I got off the high way straight away.

As I got off, the clicking/knocking turned into a full out thud - not sure from the front/rear but I could literally feel the vibrations of the thuds - this was now at any speed - even rolling.

Thuds grew worse so I pulled over and had it towed.

I'm wondering if this sounds like the differential has blown or if it sounds like the axle or something. Anyone know what I'm talking bout here?

Thanks.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:41 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Thuds grew worse so I pulled over and had it towed.
On a flatbed I hope.

I'm wondering if this sounds like the differential has blown or if it sounds like the axle or something.
It's time to get underneath the car and check both.
If the diff oil has metal bits in it.. you know what it is.
What diff oil do you use?
An inner CV spider may have broken.