S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

did i get burned? semi newb needs help

Old 04-16-2014, 09:25 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

its really difficult to read such a long paragraph that's not broken into separate paragraphs it makes us all look at it and want to move on, often a new paragraph will help separate your thoughts and give the readers a break or allow us to do a quick scan and figure out your issues, having a long run on sentence is the same as talking with someone that never allows you to interject your though it just no fun, we wish you luck with your issues and even more luck in employment in the future.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KNJ
its really difficult to read such a long paragraph that's not broken into separate paragraphs it makes us all look at it and want to move on, often a new paragraph will help separate your thoughts and give the readers a break or allow us to do a quick scan and figure out your issues, having a long run on sentence is the same as talking with someone that never allows you to interject your though it just no fun, we wish you luck with your issues and even more luck in employment in the future.
TL;DR
Old 04-17-2014, 07:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who was the shop? You definitely got burned. 5 months is ridiculous. I agree, purchase an oil filter replacement kit instead of running a smaller filter.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You def got burned and I feel the pain. Don't know much about boost but I don't think the GT35R was the reason they couldn't tune your car on the stage 2 clutch. Also stage2 is very ambiguous, might wanna state the brand and model. I mean c'mon even if your were making enough power to slip it they could've toned down the boost so you won't be slipping and give you a retune with a new clutch if it really was the problem.

Seems to me they didn't have a clue what they where doing. They probably worked on other cars and tried to experiment and learn on your car when they didn't have work. I bet they googled and youtubed how to put on and tune your shit. Even then they should've perfected in 5 months time.

Seems like your a cool dude trying to think things through before blasting them. I probably would've asked for a refund and file a claim if they didn't. Looks like bad things always happen to good people. You got a GT35R install and tune done and your car feels the same as stock? Cmon mang give a dog a bone. I got furious reading this shit.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:38 AM

Hi , so i wrote this when i had a few drinks the other night, finally gave me the courage to get pissed and wanna do something about it.
So forgive me if it was a difficult read .

The reason it was there for 5 months , is , i dropped it off with turbo inter cooler and a trunk full of parts . and handed them 2000$ ; just to get it started .i told them to take there time to do it right , because it was not my daily driver . they ended up going thru the 2k quickly for parts , aem etc., and from what i recall i had to keep giving them money .and also had an issue (supposedly ) getting the exhaust manifold that they recommended . it was probably like 4 months and then i started really bugging them .

The shop is supposedly very reputable and very well known . i hate to just spray the name at this point , because im assuming i need to have them go over it again ,.on the other hand , maybe i should steer clear of that shop all together .

To the person that suggested that 4500 was not enough cash to install turbo ;well i already had the turbo, so i was just paying for labor ,header, aem, head gasket, fuel injectors , wastegate(s) (twin scroll) . i supplied the intercooler ,piping ,bov, turbo . so i think 4,500 should have been adequate . i know what the install entails . Probably 8 hours labor max .

The wire harness for the aem i spoke of , is the one that connects to stock ecu harness and extends the length, to allow the aem to be installed under the seat or somewhere else in the car . i think it comes with it .

the shop is about 45 minute drive from my house so i was not able to pop over and check progress too easily .

im not sure i have any legal avenues to explore or if they are liable /responsible to do a better job . so far the car drives fine but i havent really pushed it and dont intend on driving it until i decide what to do .

thanks ,i appreciate the comments .
Old 04-18-2014, 05:40 AM

There's always two sides to every story. Without knowing the facts and hearing the dialogue I can identify some possible issues.

First off you supplied your own parts. It's not always a bad thing, but I can tell you that being on the other side of the situation and being supplied with things that are incorrect, cheap and sometimes used is a huge headache for shops. Not to mention it cuts into their profit margins. In my experience a customer bringing in their own parts on a build puts a negative spin on the job from the start to the point where I won't accept them anymore.

Secondly you gave them an ultimatum. There is a right way and a wrong way to handle a stagnant project, and an ultimatum is hardly ever appropriate. Would you do that in a restaurant before you got your food?

Third, a little research goes a long way. This is way more than an 8 hour job. Tuning of an AEM should take at minimum 3-4 hours in itself. Changing a head gasket is a few more hours. Installing an exhaust manifold, plumbing the turbo, intercooler, piping, wiring for the EMS and I could go on. Never tell a shop to take their time.

The shop may not be blameless here either. A simple turbo install with a partial paid invoice should never take that long. The issues with the clutch should have been addressed with the customer better. Finally the oil filter should be relocated. Having contact between parts and running the incorrect filter is unacceptable.

The return line from the turbo is a bit cheesy. That is an old school cheat that people did to avoid drilling and removing the oil pan. It does work and rarely causes issues, but it is a kind of shortcut. As for the AEM I think the V1 boxes came with that harness to relocate the box, but I think that was eliminated with the introduction of the smaller V2 box. I could be wrong on that. As for your stage 2 clutch... What is it exactly? When was it installed? How many miles? How much power are you trying to make? It sounds like you may have repaired it with the adjustment. You need to get the clutch fixed and then have the car tuned. If there is a legitimate problem with the clutch they will not be able to tune the car properly. Do not drive the car without a proper tune. It will cause issues. Other than that without getting the other side of the story it is difficult to place blame anywhere. In my experience these situations arise out of a lack in communication between the customer and the shop.

BTW post your invoice if you don't mind I'd be interested to see the breakdown. Minus names addresses and brands of course.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:35 PM

ok let me dig it out (the invoice etc) thanks
Old 04-18-2014, 04:10 PM

question about the clutch . if it always worked fine prior to dropoff, but had about an inch of play (guessing ;roughly) when i picked the car up , but has worked fine and never slipped once , and and the play has been eliminated with adjustment , do i need to replace the clutch? i was only shooting for or hoping for 400hp really. would the power from trying dyno it with newfound power result in clutch play? they said they could only boost to 2lbs when i picked it up , so it was a little faster than before .
Old 04-19-2014, 04:27 PM

It shouldnt take a reputable shop nearly half a year to do a turbo install if the parts were handed upfront...
Old 04-20-2014, 11:08 PM

the 5 month thing was like , i gave them 2k , checked in like a week later they said they were getting it started , more time went by , they needed me to come in and pay for the exhaust manifold up front , i was hella busy at work didnt make it over there for probably a week after that , (its 45 min away ) than they had trouble getting the exhaust manifold from mfg. (the manifold took so long that the company gave me a free aluminum radiator for the wait . it was probably 4 months total .

Quick Reply: did i get burned? semi newb needs help