S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

devilish idea..SR20DET in AP1

Old 10-18-2004, 07:38 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AusS2000,Oct 16 2004, 10:04 AM
Say what you like about other posters, but one only has to read a couple of your posts to realise their value. How is that V8 going in your car BTW?
bang bang
Old 10-18-2004, 08:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Given the dimentions of a black top, I don't think (off the top of my head) that fitting the engine would be the problem. Just fabricate custom motor mounts, and rewire the harness. The exhaust is no big deal, as custom exhausts are fabricated easily and cheaply. The real puzzler would be fitting the gearbox and the rear end. IF the Nissan 6 speed and rear end would fit and could be adapted (which I'm sure with enough time and $$ they could be) then you'd probably only have to fabricate a new driveshaft.

When all is said and done you'd have a very expensive (but unique) project. I'm not going to flame you for wanting to do it, its an original idea. I would point out that if your *only* motivation is to have a bulletproof boosted motor you could build a low-comp F20C for much cheaper. However if you wanna do it for the challenge and because no one else has then more power too ya and good luck

On a side note... an SR20DET a "lowly" Nissan motor? Give me a break, I guess the RB26 is a "lowly" Nissan mottor as well? I think alot of us do need to get a reality check and remember that our beloved S2000, while a wonderful car, is not the be-all and end-all of automotive engineering (in Honda's lineup, or any other).

-J
Old 10-18-2004, 09:49 AM

I've heard that this was done already, by a fabricator out at the now defunct Area 51 shop in Cali. Supposedly he swaped the SR20, made custom drive shaft, etc. and had 500+ HP... who knows the validity though, being that rumors spread faster than truth...
Old 10-18-2004, 03:16 PM
tru

signal has a sr20 powered 350z
Old 10-18-2004, 04:25 PM

and i've seen an SR20 powered FD in modified mag. it's a great idea for an engine swap. that or a 4G63 are probably about the only other 4 bangers i'd want under the hood of my car.
Old 10-18-2004, 05:07 PM

Complete waste IMO.
Old 10-18-2004, 06:37 PM

If you're going to put a nissan engine in an S2k, at least use an RB26dett.

Old 10-18-2004, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by alexf20c,Oct 16 2004, 01:41 PM
Why? I'll tell you why. Because most S2000 owners (particularly the 2 posters above the post I just quoted) are S2000 fanboys who think the S2000 was built by God, and has no equal. It is the best sports car of all time, unrivaled in its time. The SR20 motor is not worthy to call an S2000 its home.

Simple as that.
you are the biggest loser i have ever seen. you're just a troll, and a real plague to this forum. do you even own a s2000? can you at least post just one REAL picture of your car. btw random online pics don't count, kind of like how you tried to pass off those fake benz pics as your dads new car.

Old 10-18-2004, 07:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've actually thought about this a lot for the last 2 months. It seems like an awesome swap to perform if everything could work out perfectly. ( which never does). I understand everyone is implying that building a turbo F20C would be a more efficent way to achieve high HP, but I have yet to see any 400+hp turbo or FI F20C's last very long. If you strip the car of all necessities and run the bear bones equipment, engine, trans rearend and a stand alone computer I don't see where this will be impossible. I think adding the power and aftermarket capabilities of the SR20 to the light weight and rigid S2000 chassis could make for an unbelievable automobile. Whoever decides to pursue this task I wish you all the luck in the world.

Also consider that Top Secret has put an RB26DETT in a Supra and SP Engineering put a 2JZGTE in an FD3S. So these types of swaps aren't entirely un heard of. I also remember a Porsche with a 4G63.
This can be done.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Highrpmek,Oct 18 2004, 09:08 PM
I've actually thought about this a lot for the last 2 months. It seems like an awesome swap to perform if everything could work out perfectly. ( which never does). I understand everyone is implying that building a turbo F20C would be a more efficent way to achieve high HP, but I have yet to see any 400+hp turbo or FI F20C's last very long. If you strip the car of all necessities and run the bear bones equipment, engine, trans rearend and a stand alone computer I don't see where this will be impossible. I think adding the power and aftermarket capabilities of the SR20 to the light weight and rigid S2000 chassis could make for an unbelievable automobile. Whoever decides to pursue this task I wish you all the luck in the world.

Also consider that Top Secret has put an RB26DETT in a Supra and SP Engineering put a 2JZGTE in an FD3S. So these types of swaps aren't entirely un heard of. I also remember a Porsche with a 4G63.
This can be done.
I don't think the guy wants to strip the car out. I think he wants to keep it the way it is+the swap. The swap will not work out perfectly like you think. It will take some time and alot of thinking. The SR20Det is a good motor, but IMO it's still a waste of time to do this swap. I've owned turbo cars for more than 4yrs. and I can tell you that the best turbo motor, is a built motor. The SR20DET may last longer than the F20C in stock trim+turbo, but eventually it will give out. My buddy's sentra with the SR20DET gave out and it wasn't even making 300WHP. This stuff just happens.
I think alof the turbo F20C have not lasted that long simply because most people w/ S2000s(sorry, I hope I don't offend you) don't know much about turbo setups or how a motor works in general. I've seen a couple of guys who are building some nice setups on here, so I know some of you know. The F20C is a damn honda motor, trust me, you can make it run 400+ without blowing it up. You would see alot of these cars making 400+, but the truth is, most people do not have 30K to go buy a car and build up a motor with the right internals. That's why you see Civics, integras, and Nissans making this much power. People just really haven't experimented that much with the S2K. The Nissan motor can handle good boost in stock trim because it was built to handle boost(right compression), the S2K was not. Just like any other honda motor(or any motor), if you build it right and tune it right, it will live.

Quick Reply: devilish idea..SR20DET in AP1