S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Denso Iridium and engine missing

Old 10-28-2001, 03:17 PM
pfb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was developing a fairly noticeable misfire at post-VTEC rpm's. Most noticable if you tried to hold the RPM's steady, at say 7,000 RPM.

I pulled the Denso Iridium's that had been in for about 1,000 miles. I noticed they seemed to have little torque holding them in, although I did torque them all upon install to the factory spec (which is pretty light...).

No noticeable anomolies. Gaps look good at about .040".

Reinstalled stock plugs
Misfire is now gone.

Any thoughts?
Old 10-28-2001, 03:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe has nothing to do with the plugs. If it is the typical MAP sensor problem it will come and go.
Old 10-28-2001, 03:50 PM
pfb

Can you give me more info on symptoms and correction of the MAP problem? Any TSB for it?
Old 10-28-2001, 04:39 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I can document my experience but there is probably more to it. The MAP sensor problem as I it saw caused fuel delivery problems at high throttle openings over 5000 rpm. It felt like the engine was cutting out or maybe the VTEC solenoid was failing but it passed all tests and was very inconsistent.

It went on for an extended period last fall and my posts came up with nothing until someone mentioned a similar problem in Austin. I searched and found where a member had the same symptoms (maybe it was
Old 10-28-2001, 05:16 PM
Former Moderator

I'd also say try the map sensor. It happened to me a little while ago while I was in Atlanta. I took off the map sensor and sprayed it out with some tweet-in-a-can and it hasn't happened since.
Old 10-28-2001, 06:35 PM
pfb

Originally posted by cdelena
The MAP sensor problem as I it saw caused fuel delivery problems at high throttle openings over 5000 rpm. It felt like the engine was cutting out or maybe the VTEC solenoid was failing ...
That pretty much was exactly what I experienced. Glad to hear it is likely as simple (and inexpensive) to fix as a MAP sensor.

I also agree that it's probably worth $40 to not have to give up the car for a day and convince the Honda guys that there is really a problem let alone trying to tell them what the fix is...

This board is a great resource!
Old 10-28-2001, 07:35 PM

On the other hand, if it's a commonly experienced problem and you're within warranty, maybe you should demand that it be fixed just on principle.

If we allow ourselves to be coerced through bad service and problems with our Honda dealers to go elsewhere, we're letting them off the hook, negating the possibility of a corrective TSB for other owners, and setting ourselves up for continued bad service.

Just a thought.

cal
Old 10-29-2001, 10:56 AM

did you get your new MAP sensor through HandA?
Old 11-03-2001, 03:25 PM

Originally posted by VTECnology
I'd also say try the map sensor. It happened to me a little while ago while I was in Atlanta. I took off the map sensor and sprayed it out with some tweet-in-a-can and it hasn't happened since.
can anyone share a pic or two of where the map sensor is located and how to r&r?
Old 11-03-2001, 08:39 PM

map sensor screws right on top of the throttle body.

Quick Reply: Denso Iridium and engine missing