S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Delayed Gear Engagement

Old 09-14-2015, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Delayed Gear Engagement

I have a 2002 ap1 with around 123,xxx miles. Yesterday, I noticed that when im accelerating moderately fast (not WOT) and attempt to shift into 4th from 3rd or 5th from 4th, the engine will continue to accelerate at the same rate as if it were still in the previous gear, after a second or two of doing that, I let off the throttle and the engine speed lowers to the correct speed for that gear by itself. Its a very noticeable delay in correcting itself after fully shifting into the next gear. Ive looked through dozens of forums and cant seem to find anything relative to this issue, so exuse me if there is an existing thread on this issue. Its an ap1 so it couldnt be a clutch delay valve, which seems to be relative to this issue to some degree from what ive read. Changed the clutch fluid via gravity drain last week and changed out the trans fluid with honda MTF a few months ago. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-14-2015, 11:26 AM

Received 487 Likes on 398 Posts

Sounds like the clutch disk or pressure plate are worn. The clutch will begin to slip more and more in time.
Old 09-14-2015, 11:35 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Yeah sounds like your clutch is slipping. How’s the free play on the pedal? As in, do you have any? If not, dial some more in and see if that helps, if not you need a new clutch.
Old 09-14-2015, 12:18 PM

There's a tad bit of freeplay. I'm going to tighten that up, maybe check my clutch fluid for air and the if all else fails, replace the clutch.
Old 09-14-2015, 01:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it the original clutch? It's time for a new one. I can't imagine a freeplay issue if it hasn't been fiddled with in the last year.

Careful with the free play adjustment. If you take out all play, you can end up applying constant pressure to the pressure plate, making things worse. If it has a bit of free play, then likely the issue is that your clutch is worn out.
Old 09-14-2015, 01:13 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by BroMcKowski
There's a tad bit of freeplay. I'm going to tighten that up, maybe check my clutch fluid for air and the if all else fails, replace the clutch.
No you want to do the opposite, you want to loosen it up, adding free play. As your clutch disc wears it picks up the free play slack, and if you don't keep it adjusted properly you could potentially start ridding the pp and causing premature slippage. If you still have some free play currently then it likely doesn't matter, the clutch is toast.
Old 09-14-2015, 01:24 PM

Well I've loosened and tightened the MC rod and the late gear release still occurs with either setting which leads me to believe that maybe the problem lies in the master cylinder? Perhaps the cylinder isn't retrieving the fluid back quickly due to corrosion buildup or gunk?
Old 09-14-2015, 01:32 PM

Also noticed some gunk built up around where the con rod meets the MC housing.
Old 09-14-2015, 01:37 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Well I've loosened and tightened the MC rod and the late gear release still occurs with either setting which leads me to believe that maybe the problem lies in the master cylinder? Perhaps the cylinder isn't retrieving the fluid back quickly due to corrosion buildup or gunk?
The release which holds the PP to disc is spring/tension held not hydraulic, the pressing of the clutch to disengage the clutch is hydraulic, so if the master cylinder isn't actuating you wont be able to get the car into gear, the clutch will grab just fine.You still may have a master cylinder that is weeping, but it isn't the problem. It will be eventually though.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You. Need. A. New. Clutch.

Quick Reply: Delayed Gear Engagement