S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Decision-making Time for More Power

Old 12-29-2013, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decision-making Time for More Power

Ok guys, real quick let me give you a brief run down of everything to keep in mind as you read this and give your input.

I'm 24, and in college. I have a 02 AP1. The motor has 65,xxx miles on it.
This cars needs to be reliable for me. It still needs to remain as fuel conscious as it is now or as close to it as it can be.

I will be upgrading some things here in the next month. I know for certain I am going to do coilovers, a lip, some paint, maybe some interior goodies. But the question I'm stuck on regards performance.

Here's my options:
1) a complete turbo kit that's currently installed on a s2000
-- or --
2) ITB's, drop in cams (poncams), ms3, high rise header.

I'm coming up with pro's/con's for both, just can't really make up my mind on which one to do.

I'd like some opinions from other s2k owners

Go!
Old 12-29-2013, 04:20 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Itbs and turbo are two different worlds, ask yourself how much torque do you want, how soon do you want it, and whether or not you should buy a beater first
Old 12-29-2013, 06:20 PM

Yes I know they're two different worlds. ITB's yield much much better throttle response, and instantaneous power whenever I want to use it.
And turbo yields potentially bigger power gains and a cool sound and a thrilling sensation of power when boost dumps.

I'm not new to cars, just don't know which one is going to be more reliable for daily driving. Buying a beater is out of the question. I'm in school, can't afford 2 vehicles.

As far as what numbers I'd like to see with the car, I'm realistic and would like to think that putting 230-250hp to the ground would be attainable with my purposed ITB build list above. And reaching those numbers could be done with boost as well.

I guess my main concern is which is going to be more reliable for my situation, daily driving to and from school, occasional spirited driving, driving hwy 129 (the dragon) when I want, and short hard pulls between red lights when I get bored.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:48 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Well, you still didn't answer my question, how much torque do you want, and how soon do you want it? Itbs vs sc as far as response/power goes, the sc is superior with this car. Pending where you live itbs could be a pain, if you have polar changes in temperature during the year, retuning can get expensive...reliability wise a supercharger at 8-10lbs is your best bet, best respone/power while still keeping na characteristics
Old 12-29-2013, 07:36 PM

Well as far as how soon do I want the power, I guess I'm fine with the benefits of both. I can see where having power throughout the powerband would be fun and enjoyable. And I can see where having that sudden burst of power would be fun too.

My first thought when considering this was to turbo the car, then a couple of my friends brought up ITB's and it's benefits. So I thought on it and saw the pro's/con's to both. Then I came to an indecisive standpoint.

I live in East Tennessee, so summers are 70's-90's and winters are 20's-40's.

So I suppose to answer the "when" question I would have to look at when I would mostly want to utilize the power, and honestly I'd probably use the power just driving around at 50ish mph, and then just punch it. Ya know just driving around with a couple of buddies and decide to pull from em. That's probably when I would use the power. So spool up and pull or just instant response and pull. That's where I'm stuck and can't figure out which I'd prefer. I've always loved the sound of a turbo'd car, and I loved my rb swapped s13. Never had an ITB'd car. But they do sound pretty nasty and just completely scream.

Don't really know where I'd want my torque to be honest.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:50 PM

fuel conscience, reliable and you are in college...?

i say keep it stock

but SC is the way, more reliable and I would stick with the stock internals...

good luck!
Old 12-29-2013, 08:36 PM

See I don't believe I would need a beater to do this stuff. I believe if things are done right and proper then the car can still be reliable. Proper parts, quality parts, proper installation, proper tune, proper supportive mods, etc... should still yield reliability. This is just my opinion of course.

Now i do have a motorcycle, but I wouldn't want to ride it everyday as a daily.

I love the car stock and I don't mind keeping it stock if I have to but cmon I'm only asking for like 40-60 more HP lol. I didn't think asking for that small of a figure was going to completely compromise the reliability factor of the car. It's not like I'm wanting 600 rwhp lol.

So it looks like yall are saying that I can't make a s2000 reliable at 250 rwhp? That doesn't seem right to me.

And yes I know I'm going to take a hit on fuel consumption I just don't want to take a huge hit
Old 12-29-2013, 08:39 PM

And I do plan on staying with stock internals with either route I choose. If turbo I would just have a low boost tune of say 7lbs. That should be plenty to satisfy my want for a little more pep to the car.

The only internal part that would change is drop in poncams if I chose the ITB route.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:52 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

was in a similar boat. decided what i'm going to do, enjoy it stock for the moment.

I'd like to have 220rwhp (270~280chp)

Stock is 180~190. So ideally i'm looking for 30rwhp.

Itb pros
throttle response that makes na seem like a turbo
excellent midrange
orgasmic sound
(true gains-5~15rwhp depending on car/tuner.)

cons
potential power loss with proper air filtration (so stick a filter on your itb, you'll be back at square one)
LOUD - louder than a straight pipe, watch out for the constabulary
price - 800 for an obx, 2500 for a jenvy. 1500 for an aem, you'll need standalone, and another 500 for a tune. for potentially the same horsepower as you started,with filters. Daily driver, student, yeah you'll be using a filter.
Little top end gain
Old 12-30-2013, 09:18 PM

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts

If your goal is to make your s2000 accelerate faster than any mod that is not some type of forced induction is a complete waist of time, money and especially heartache. This is speaking from expearance of undergoing many all motor 4 cylinder builds.

Quick Reply: Decision-making Time for More Power