S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Dealer won't fix it TSB 00-054

Old 09-27-2004, 12:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer won't fix it TSB 00-054

I took my car in because the clutch buzzes on decelleration, but I forgot to mention the TSB, and forgot to mention that it didn't always do this. So the dealer tells me that this is just the way the gearbox sounds. At the time I just believed him and picked up the car as I was happy they fixed my driver's side windows.

Now I'm not so happy, reading the TSB the noise is exactly what it describes. Should I take the car back again, or should I take it to another dealer.

Thanks.
Old 09-27-2004, 12:53 PM
WPS

dealer rater tee hee
Old 09-27-2004, 12:54 PM

Mine does it on my newly purchased low mile 2001. Turns out the warrantee ran out 45 days ago... but after talking with the local dealer I'm sure it wouldn't have mattered anyway. They seem to think it's not a "defect" but simply the way it is. He assured me that it in no way hurts anything. He also said that he's seen people replace the clutch with the new one and have the noise come back in a month. So F-it. I'll live with it I guess till my clutch goes.
Old 09-27-2004, 04:16 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Go to another dealer and plead your case there. Some dealers make it sound like these kinds of jobs are costing them out of their own pockets. Honda pays them for the work and they get the benefits of that.

In a way, that dealer is right about the noise. It's just noise and doesn't hurt the performance of the car. They are also right about how many owner who have had this done, will get the noise back within weeks. I think quite a few owners use this to get a new free clutch (nothing wrong with this as it's not trying to defraud anyone).

My car is 4 years old. It's had this buzz for 4 years. I'm not concerned about it.
Old 09-28-2004, 08:08 PM

Well, if it's just a noise and not an issue, then why did honda issue a TSB for it.

And I swear I smell clutch burning in the really hilly areas. Dealer says that's my brakes, but don't believe him.
Old 09-28-2004, 08:26 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

The TSB states is just to repair a noise. A TSB is not a recall. It only states a symtom and a repair procedure. It's a noise thats it.

And if you are smelling the clutch in hilly areas, it sounds like you are slipping the clutch excessively getting the car moving uphill from a stop.
Old 09-28-2004, 08:36 PM

or, the clutch isn't holding under power.
Old 09-28-2004, 09:05 PM

also not all tsb's are approved by Honda to actually fix. Some of them are just a "heads-up" that there is an issue, but not necessarily a fix for it. In this case, most dealers should be able to get it covered.
MAtt
Old 09-28-2004, 09:21 PM

go around and keep complaining to dealers in your area. Lucky for me i was referred to a respectable dealer who i made an agreement with. I pay for parts, they pay for labor. However this deal was accomplished because i called Honda of America. I was told by my counsler to call them and if they werent gonna deal with my issue, to call Honda of Japan. It may seem like a long shot but u never know, it worked for me.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:55 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by CRX7,Sep 28 2004, 10:08 PM
Well, if it's just a noise and not an issue, then why did honda issue a TSB for it.

And I swear I smell clutch burning in the really hilly areas. Dealer says that's my brakes, but don't believe him.
About the dealer saying it's the brakes .............................. For this very reason alone, you should be going to another dealer. These guys obviously have no idea what's going on or they do know what's going on and they're trying to blow you off. It would take a great deal of effort to make the brakes on this car "smell". You usually only find this happening on the brakes of "big rigs" with air/drum brakes. I know this smell. I drive them.

What has already been explained about TSBs is correct.
You clutch is most likely what you are smelling and this is a whole other deal. A worn or bad clutch will not likely be covered by any warranty.

Quick Reply: Dealer won't fix it TSB 00-054