S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Dealer forgot to change my rear differencial oil. Something happened. Need advice

Old 11-06-2002, 11:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer forgot to change my rear differencial oil. Something happened. Need advice

I just did a 30000 miles service. The GOUDY HONDA service department told me that they will change the rear differential oil for me. But they didnt. Today I went to a tire shop to change my tire. They told my they have a high performance rear differential oil (lubro molly) I dont know if I spell it right or wrong. THA told me to change it. I said why not. When they were draining the oil, the oil was totally black. By that time I realized that GOUDY HONDA didnt change my rear differential oil. I was so piss. I will not go back to that dealer again. Since I changed to the high performance rear differential oil. The rear differential (LSD) is making a strange sound when I was making a U turn, like wooooo sound. Is it normal? need advice
Old 11-07-2002, 03:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just changed my diff two weeks ago and did not notice any sounds.. i used Mobil 1. the only thing i would be worried about is if the shop didn't use crush washers on the drain and fill bolts and then your diff may have started to leak.

how much diff oil did the second shop use? should be just about 1 qt.. it's really not that hard to change the stuff yourself and the best part is you know the job was done right..
Old 11-07-2002, 10:01 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

First, it is not always necessary to change those crush washers. I've done mine twice and they don't leak.
Second, NOT all diff fluids are compatable with ALL diffs. I know. I made this mistake myself once on another car. I put a hypoid gear oil into a Dana rear diff. BAD NEWS! It made all these noises and I had to get the thing repaired. Therefore, the opposite could also be true. If a diff fluid NOT meant for a Torsen LSD is used, you could be damaging the diff. I would get that stuff out as soon as possible and put in something that is proven to work in our diffs like the Mobil 1 75W90 synthetic. I would even go so far as to say change it out now, go for a drive to mix the leftover BAD fluid, do the change AGAIN. Hopefully the noise will go away but if it doesn't, you may have done some permanent damage.
Never let a NON-HONDA shop like your tire shop talk you into putting something into a car they probably know nothing about. That tire shop guy was most likely just trying to pedal his new product line and it probably works great with "American Muscle".
Old 11-07-2002, 10:18 AM

concur. a little time spent searching/asking questions in s2ki before you do the job, and a service/helms manual in hand, will hopefully prevent any future problems.
i hope after a diff fluid change out, everything falls back into place for you.
Old 11-07-2002, 11:02 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by xviper
Never let a NON-HONDA shop like your tire shop talk you into putting something into a car they probably know nothing about.
I agree with everything xviper said except this. I don't think you should let a Honda shop talk you into anything either. If it isn't recommended on S2KI, DON'T PUT IT IN YOUR S2000! For example, some Honda shops will suggest using 0W-20 oil in the S2000, but that is NOT a good idea for this car. This is my practice for everything concerning my S2000, not just oil selection.
Old 11-07-2002, 11:05 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, but Honda just says use a GL5 diff lube and that is what the Lubro Moly product is. There is more to this than what is posted because diffs just don't fail because a different lube is used.
Old 11-07-2002, 11:25 AM

cdelena,
so you mean i can still use the lubro moly product without damege my diffs? But there is a sound coming out when I was making a U turn though. Is it normal?
Old 11-07-2002, 11:34 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gernby
[B] I don't think you should let a Honda shop talk you into anything either.
Old 11-07-2002, 12:12 PM

xviper,
Before the fluid change, the diff didnt make any noise. The noise comes out right after a change the fluid. One more question, have you ever heard lubro moly diff oil. That battle says 75w90 synthetic too.
Old 11-07-2002, 02:26 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by b8b88
[B]xviper,

Quick Reply: Dealer forgot to change my rear differencial oil. Something happened. Need advice