S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Dead Starter?

Old 03-18-2015, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead Starter?

In my experience when battery is low, dash lights get all dim, starter struggles to start car,etc.

Car's been running without any hiccups. I changed the battery with honda oem a year ago so that should be fine.

Yesteday I went to start the car during work, and lights on dash were bright/radio went on/fans turned on. But when I hit the start button, nothing happened. Dead Silence. No cranks, nothing. Not even a starter struggling to spin.

I tried over and over and over, and dash lights flicker for like 1/4 second just like normal start. I gave up and went inside, and came back 20 mins later, and it started up just fine, first time.

I moved the car, and turned it off and back on, and it worked great. Went inside, and after work drove 20 miles home in rush hour traffic and rain wipers/lights/radio, and everything was fine.

Started up car again after 60 mins of being home, and went out to grab some food, and when I came out of the parking lot, same issue. Dead Silence when I press the start button. Dash light was bright. Battery didn't seem like the culprit.

Do you think my starter has died? I can't believe it started up fine all day, and then just gave up when we got out after eating.

I know that when I tried over and over, the dash lights would have a just a split second flicker when I pressed the start button and went back to normal after.

I have replaced the starter in my dad's v6 2007 accord, when it did the same exact thing. Nothing happened when you turned the key, and if you tried enough it would start, and stop and then try again and nothing. After replacing starter, it worked perfect till today.

I already ordered a new starter, so I am at least going with that, so I can have a car to take to work.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah sounds like a starter. maybe lose wire but most likely the starter
Old 03-18-2015, 05:58 PM

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

You say the starter didn't even click when you pressed the start button? If so, then my guess would be a bad starter. If you heard a click each time you pressed the button then I would first remove both battery cables, wire brush all connecting surfaces and reinstall them nice and tight. Do this before replacing the starter even if there is no sign of terminal corrosion.

Yes, a bad battery connection will have the symptoms you describe with a click and light dimming when the start button is pushed.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:17 PM

Received 1,717 Likes on 1,024 Posts

Check fuses?
Old 03-18-2015, 06:56 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

There is also the possibility of the clutch down switch, not seen this on S2K but have on other cars. I don't know what the correct name for this switch is but it prevents the starter working unless you push in the clutch.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:49 PM

Yeah. I had the car parked outside from where the Tow truck left it, and went to start it and it started up first time. Moved it inside the garage. I think I am going to chalk this up to a bad starter.

As for the noise - there is not even a single click. Nothing. Absolutely dead silence when I press the start button. It should be ready to pick up tmw at the store, and hopefully that will not leave me scared that my starter will randomly choke from the heat if I idle in a spot for too long. Got tired of having to sit roadside and let it cool so it will start up again.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Mnstr2000
There is also the possibility of the clutch down switch, not seen this on S2K but have on other cars. I don't know what the correct name for this switch is but it prevents the starter working unless you push in the clutch.
I think that switch is fine, because I was like, maybe I wasn't pressing the clutch, even though its second nature by now. So when I press start with clutch de-pressed. nothing happens. If I press and then try to start, then there is a slight hum, but no clicks/cranks from starter.