S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Dead Battery or Alternator?

Old 05-05-2015, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead Battery or Alternator?

A couple days ago my battery was weak to start, and a day later it was totally dead. Drove it to work, and after an 8 hour shift it was dead, dead. You could hear the starter click, but no dice on any turn over.

On my drive home, I stalled in a drive through by accident totally not paying attention and it BARELY started... BARELY.

Finally got home, turned the car off, and immediately back on and it barely started again.

Left it overnight, started it in the afternoon and it was TOTALLY dead. No starter, but did have dash lights and headlights. Jumped it, drove for about 30 mins, came home and turned it off and turned it immediately back on, and it was, again -- DEAD. No starter, but DID have dash lights.

So the battery isnt getting a charge whatsoever. Alternator issue, or dead battery?

I plan on picking up a battery tomorrow before work and putting it in unless you guys dont think that's the problem.

I can buy a voltmeter if need be as well.
Old 05-05-2015, 03:48 PM

Battery. The battery's job is to start the vehicle, the alternator's job is to provide electricity while the vehicle is running.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:00 PM

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,086 Posts

...and to recharge the battery. It could be the battery is not taking the charge, or it could be the alternator is not providing the charge.

Have battery tested. Can go to AutoZone, etc.

A voltmeter is a good thing to have. Knowing how to use it is even better thing to have. Get one, and measure the voltage at battery terminals at fast idle. It should be around 14.5. Much lower than, say, 13.5, you can suspect a charging issue. You can remove alternator and bring it to AutoZone, etc for testing.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:27 PM

I had my battery and alternator replaced on a Volvo about a year ago (by PepBoys) and it cost about $800 - $900. Is this something I can expect with the S2K too if the alternator really is bad?
Old 05-05-2015, 04:37 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You need to get your battery tested out at your local auto part store. Also, I would charge the battery by either having a long drive or a better way, with one of those battery chargers that u get at an auto parts store. Our cars need a good charge to even start. I learned that after going through a few batteries. Not driving the car much makes the battery drain after a 2 weeks of sitting so now I just remove the positive terminal when I don't use it.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by vasquezgno
You need to get your battery tested out at your local auto part store. Also, I would charge the battery by either having a long drive or a better way, with one of those battery chargers that u get at an auto parts store. Our cars need a good charge to even start. I learned that after going through a few batteries. Not driving the car much makes the battery drain after a 2 weeks of sitting so now I just remove the positive terminal when I don't use it.
I have a 50 miles commute Monday - Friday. After the commute 1 way (25 miles) it still shows no signs of a charge -- but also never fails during the drive either.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:43 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If I was to go with an educated guess, I'll say it's your battery. It's not able to hold a charge which explains how it's barely starting after u are turning it off and then back on. It wouldn't stall while driving since it would be driving on the alternator.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:53 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,540 Likes on 1,044 Posts

How old is the battery? If it's three or more years --- get it checked out. If it's new, you may have some serious parasitic draw issues. Have an aftermarket sound system?
Old 05-05-2015, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by vasquezgno
If I was to go with an educated guess, I'll say it's your battery. It's not able to hold a charge which explains how it's barely starting after u are turning it off and then back on. It wouldn't stall while driving since it would be driving on the alternator.
I'm guessing your guess is correct. That said, should I save myself the time (and $20 for a voltmeter) and skip all the back and forth testing and instead just go pickup a battery?
Old 05-05-2015, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by windhund116
How old is the battery? If it's three or more years --- get it checked out. If it's new, you may have some serious parasitic draw issues. Have an aftermarket sound system?
Not sure how old the battery is. I am the new owner of 1 week, so kind of a crappy deal for me to have to change it just 1 week into my ownership, but I am happy its one of the cheaper things of car maintenance. Car is bone stock, no aftermarket anything.

Quick Reply: Dead Battery or Alternator?