S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

That darn allen bolt

Old 10-04-2003, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default That darn allen bolt

ok, im replacing the clutch, been at it all day, and I think it took me 3 hours to get the darn starter bolt off. well ok, now comes the easy part, i got all my driveshaft bolts off but one. This one is round as hell and dose any one know a way to get this out? I ordered new bolts knowing that I was going to strip these, so replacement is no prob, I just need to get this thing out.
TIA
btw, that Upper starter bolt was A PITA to take out
Old 10-04-2003, 04:46 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Drill it. Use a drill bit about the size of the bolts shank. Once you get close to base of the bolt it'll just snap off and it should be easy to remove both parts.
Old 10-04-2003, 05:33 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Here's another option:
First, spray the crap out of it with Liquid Wrench, wait a while, go for coffee. Then try to turn it with some Vise Grips as tight as you can get it. It's too late for you now but if there is a next time, do the L.W. spray first on all of them. Then you need to use a "snapping" motion on the wrench to break it free. Did you notice how once each bolt began, it was pretty easy to make the rest of it unscrew?
Old 10-04-2003, 05:51 PM

Hope it worked out for you. I understand about the upper starter bolt, as I did clutch/flywheel replacement myself as well. I look forward to hearing how it all went.
Old 10-05-2003, 06:56 PM

well thanks all, I would say it took me all day to get those bolts off, but I did, Thanks everyone, and the tip that worked the most was from xviper, vise grips wernt working, but the monkey wrench did the trick.

I stopped working when I got the tranny off, and the pressure plate taken off. Tomorrow i should be done with the flywheel install, and be putting the tranny back on.
heres a couple pics that I took.

And all the hard work is going for this baby...

Old 10-05-2003, 07:05 PM

Nice pressure plate assembly. What's it gonna feel like versus stock? Let us know!
Old 10-06-2003, 06:37 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by CaptinMorgan97 but the monkey wrench did the trick.
"Monkey Wrench"? After all these years of "wrenching", I'm still not certain what these are. Would you be talking about a small "pipe wrench" by chance?

And MAN! Those bolts heads sure took a beating. Are you certain that your allen wrench was the exact size needed? Mine were quite hard to remove too, but none was ever damaged like that. I used an allen key that was mounted on a 3/8" drive socket. Double check because you will need to install those things to the correct torque and you might round them off going in.
Old 10-06-2003, 10:24 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xviper
Old 10-06-2003, 11:08 AM

Umm... well yea i Used the 6mm Allen socket wrench. fitted on a 3/8 wrench. The Problem I faced was it was at an angle, so I either had to get it out with a universal or go at it at an angle. If the universal wasnt lined up right then you would strip it.

Now one of those bolts I rounded, cause I got pissed and started drilling it, but that didnt work I tried getting it out with a monkey wrench and got it out.

Now, even though I ordered a new set of allen bolts for that shaft, I might go look for a exact replacement for it, but a hex head instead.

But while looking under the car I did find my right Swaybar Linkage broken, so thats another thing for me to replace.
Old 10-06-2003, 04:13 PM

Sorry to hear about the driveshaft bolts i`ve fought so many of them doing clutches in S2000`s. I always use the Vise Grip method and a pair of channel locks at the other end to hold the drive shaft, and i make sure that the e brake is off and the trans is in neutral so you can spin the drive shaft and have access to all of the bolts. That`s my method to doing it. By the way that`s the part i dislike the most about doing an S2000 clutch.