S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Dangers of removing airbox cover

Old 08-16-2005, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What in the world..... that is way to much power lost... I guess I have to race a friend's S2000. I really have to try this out. Thanks for the heads up though bill!

-Alan
Old 08-16-2005, 06:49 PM

CAI intake.. AEM, Comptech, Injen.. do all of the CAI's leave you open for hydrolocking?
Does the bypass valve for the AEM 100% guard against hydrolock?
Old 08-16-2005, 09:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by billman250,Aug 16 2005, 01:49 PM
You will loose major power with the lid off, that's a fact. It's a bad idea.

Do a roll on with a buddy's s2k. Once with the lid, once without.

Without the lid, you will get walked real bad....this has been proven many times.
I would have to agree on the noticeable power loss and I'd say it's something close to the loss from the A/C compressor.

I pulled the cover one time at an autocross for the practice runs and could not beat my times achieved in the competition runs, they were about one second slower. Usually my times improve in the practice runs that take place after the competition runs.

Another time I did three autocross runs with the A/C accidentally on and those runs ended up being about one second slower than with the A/C off. Thus I compare the two losses, lid off vs A/C on.
Old 08-17-2005, 04:23 AM

I video'd my car running stock and running with an exposed filter on the same stretch of road with the same amount/grade of fuel in the car and same ambient conditions and the stock car was noticably quicker. In fact I paused both video's exactly on 6k rpm in 1st gear and then hit play on the exposed filter one and then on the stock one. Obviously the mouse movement delay means the exposed filter video would get an advantage. Despite this the stock video still clocked up 100mph first!! I've been frame by frame and the gear-changes are near identical but the stock car is a good 1.5-2 seconds faster to 100mph. I remove the airbox lid for 5-10 minutes once every few months to show it off and then its straight back on!
Old 08-17-2005, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by billman250,Aug 16 2005, 06:34 PM
Get an intake like an AEM, Injen, Comptech....you'll get the sound and keep the power. Maybe even gain a few.
What about the K & N typhoon intake system??
Would you lose power as well since the element is not enclosed??

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=280048
Old 08-17-2005, 05:45 PM

well......i put my airbox cover back on and drove the car around...no cool sound anymore and really couldn't tell about a power gain. maybe..just maybe feels a little smoother at low rpm's and take off...I'm taking a bunch of people's words for it and leaving it on now. I've got the snorkel and the K&N so I'm doing it right now..I guess
Old 08-17-2005, 05:50 PM

I did a dyno on this and found to have lost ~3-5hp with the lid off (hood open). I would assume that it will be worst with the hood closed.

Having the lid on, I tested using a K&N filter instead of the stock paper filter and got a 1hp loss. Since it was only 1hp, it may just be a change in conditions. Most likely there was no gain or loss.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by REV_29K,Aug 18 2005, 02:39 AM
What about the K & N typhoon intake system??
Would you lose power as well since the element is not enclosed??

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=280048
The K&N Typhoon / FIPK is enclosed. That's why there's a rubber seal around it that presses firmly against the hood. It's open at the front, but that's where the cooler air enters.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:26 AM

I ran the car without airbox lid for a week and put it back on to see the differences. As described, no more mean sound and I couldn't really tell a real power difference.

Downside of running without the lid obviously are that the air filter can get dirty more quickly and as mentioned a little power loss. I cannot see any other disadvantages right now...
Old 08-23-2006, 04:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WHY NOT JUST PULL THE AIR BOX AND FILTER RIGHT OUT!
This way you get a more agressive sound and even more air flow w/o a stupid filter.......HAH KIDDING!

This is the first ive heard of this, I think ill try it just to hear the sound. I think with a snorkel, K&N, and lid off might be fine...since more of the cooler air is coming in due to the snorkel. Is there a way to use the lid and still get "the sound" of a no lid. What makes it louder? The chambers not being seperated?

Honda has CRAZY stock intake systems with different compartments making things quite...I wonder if the wall in the airbox is cut out and lid still on, the sound might appear. Anyone ever played with the insides of one? Id like to find a junk one and start playing with it. Mabye even drill a few holes out of the lid. Less hot air but keep the sound...hmmm

Quick Reply: Dangers of removing airbox cover