S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Damn you tick-tick-tick

Old 09-10-2011, 06:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damn you tick-tick-tick

Hello guys,

I have this ticking noise coming from my left front wheel only when I turn right.

The ticking noise is coming only when the car is warm up (especially the brakes, I think)

Please help me, any suggestion...

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Wk1PMzD_vxI
Old 09-10-2011, 07:41 AM

Sounds like something hitting the dust shield. Maybe a pebble caught between the hub and the shield?
Old 09-10-2011, 08:49 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

it does sound like the brake sheild. you should take of your wheel and check.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by cbayman
Sounds like something hitting the dust shield. Maybe a pebble caught between the hub and the shield?
Thank you for your time.
Pebble was the first thing I checked.
I can hear it ONLY when I turn right with warm up brakes
Old 09-10-2011, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by s2cho
it does sound like the brake sheild. you should take of your wheel and check.
I did it.
When the wheel is up in the air nothing happens.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by S2johnyK
Originally Posted by cbayman' timestamp='1315669299' post='20960552
Thank you for your time.
Next guess would be the brake pad wear indicator clinking past the brake rotor grooves. Other than that check for loose lugs or a wheel bearing. Isn't too much there that could cause that awful noise! Warm brakes means the disk is expanded causing the interference. When it cools down the disk shrinks and the interference is gone. Right turn puts different pressure on the wheel bearing moving the hub and brake disk. It only takes a mil or so to go from quiet to tick-tick. Get the brakes hot, jack it up and spin the wheel - listen real close you should be able to locate the source. Also grab the tire top/bottom and try to rock it on the bearing. You shouldn't be able to feel any movement. After the brakes cool remove the pads and inspect. Check for pad wear, cracking, chipping etc.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:29 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

or the suspension bushings on that side. it could be cracked and thats the sound of metal on metal.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by cbayman
Originally Posted by S2johnyK' timestamp='1315673675' post='20960686
[quote name='cbayman' timestamp='1315669299' post='20960552']
Thank you for your time.
Next guess would be the brake pad wear indicator clinking past the brake rotor grooves. Other than that check for loose lugs or a wheel bearing. Isn't too much there that could cause that awful noise! Warm brakes means the disk is expanded causing the interference. When it cools down the disk shrinks and the interference is gone. Right turn puts different pressure on the wheel bearing moving the hub and brake disk. It only takes a mil or so to go from quiet to tick-tick. Get the brakes hot, jack it up and spin the wheel - listen real close you should be able to locate the source. Also grab the tire top/bottom and try to rock it on the bearing. You shouldn't be able to feel any movement. After the brakes cool remove the pads and inspect. Check for pad wear, cracking, chipping etc.
[/quote]

Thank you once again
Ok, let's see:
Brake pad wear indicator: CHECK (the pad has quite enough "life" BUT the pad wear is uneven between its two sides with small difference thought)
Loose lugs : CHECK (lugs were torqed enough)
Wheel bearing: CHECK (replace with new before 500 miles)
Wheel hub: CHECK (replace with new before 500 miles)
When I jack it up nothing happens.
If the brake pad wear is responsible for the noise, shouldn't it be different type of noise like scrubbing?
Old 09-11-2011, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by s2cho
or the suspension bushings on that side. it could be cracked and thats the sound of metal on metal.
But it's a periodical rotation type of noise
Old 09-11-2011, 11:33 AM

The fact that you recently replaced the bearing and hub + aftermarket parts (at least the disk isn't OEM) means this is most likely related to that work. From your video it still sounds like something hitting the splash shield. Maybe the shield was bent when the hub components were pressed out or reinstalled. Inspect around the disk and look for possible interference points. Also post details on the work performed - who did the work, torque used on the hub nut, etc. Include the details of OEM and aftermarket parts used. Most likely somebody will have used the same aftermarket parts and will be able to help.

Quick Reply: Damn you tick-tick-tick