S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Damn MIL!! (CEL)

Old 08-29-2002, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damn MIL!! (CEL)

OK, I have now replaced my primary O2 sensor... I'm still getting a damn CEL/MIL!! WTF? Anyone have any ideas? All help appreciated. It says in the Helms manual that it's possible to have "blown" that circuit in the ECM. Anyone in Mid-Atlantic region (preferrably in NoVa) want to let me use their ECM to test with for about an hour?? KAM? You're the closest. Any chance?
-Larry
Old 08-29-2002, 10:06 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The MIL and CEL are two very different beasts. The MIL (Maintenance Indicator Light) is on when you,say, need an oil change and is programmed to come on at certain intervals, like at 7K for the 7.5 K tune up. On the other hand the MIL (Malfunction indicator light) indicates a problem has been detected by the on board computer....more specifically known as OBD-II. So if you could tell if you have a MIL or a CEL indicator illuminated I would be more then glad to help you out. From your accesories it is clear you know your stuff....but do you have a coincidental MIL or a sensor problem? If you can have someone pull your codes I can send you in the right direction (if it is CEL).

Utah
Old 08-30-2002, 05:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If ya can't pull the codes then its basically looking for a needle in a hay stack. An obd2 scanner is some of the best money you will spend if you plan on doing mods. For under two hundred dollars you can get a decent one. The scanner and the helms are a must have i.m.h.o. if mods are in your future. A voltage meter is also a big plus! If ya pull the code i'll fax ya the pages from helms on the troubleshooting for that code!
Old 08-30-2002, 04:53 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

What he said:

http://www.obd-2.com/

Utah
Old 09-01-2002, 06:10 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I think you have this wrong, Bob. MIL is Malfunction Indicator Lamp, as I believe was specified by the OBDII industry standard. It is the same thing as CEL (Check Engine Lamp). You could say that the MIL is the successor to the CEL, since the CEL is obsoleted terminology now.

The MIL is three lights to the left of the rightmost lamp (brake system) on the bottom of the dash. The Maint Required Indicator Light, on the other hand, is the other lamp that you refer to below (it's two more over to the left from the MIL).

Larry's definitely talking about the MIL. But, yes, you're absolutely right that the MIL and and Maint lights are two very different beasts. Damn, I wish OBD hadn't changed the terminology.

Just wanted to clarify.

Originally posted by Utah S2K
The MIL and CEL are two very different beasts. The MIL (Maintenance Indicator Light) is on when you,say, need an oil change and is programmed to come on at certain intervals, like at 7K for the 7.5 K tune up. On the other hand the MIL (Malfunction indicator light) indicates a problem has been detected by the on board computer....more specifically known as OBD-II. So if you could tell if you have a MIL or a CEL indicator illuminated I would be more then glad to help you out. From your accesories it is clear you know your stuff....but do you have a coincidental MIL or a sensor problem? If you can have someone pull your codes I can send you in the right direction (if it is CEL).

Utah