S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Damaged, Worth repairing and easy to do?

Old 01-14-2014, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damaged, Worth repairing and easy to do?

Hey guys! New to the forums and well new to S2000's. I'm getting my license in the spring and I found an S for sale, asking around $5500 but I'm sure I can get it for around $5000. The car is pretty much stock, has a cold air intake, headlights are aftermarket chrome but kinda look like AP2 lights, has a custom deck, and its pretty low. It has been in a slight fender bender and I want to do the work on it myself to have it ready for when I get my license. The car has a clean title, and is in immaculate condition except for the damaged areas. The damage is to the right side of the vehicle, slight front fender, but I've taken out fenders and put them back so that's easy, but the rear right tire is hit and the quarter above it is too. The left side has no damages and the left rear tire isn't bent or anything so I'm pretty sure it wasn't hit that hard and there is no frame damage. So what I wanted to know is what parts you think are damaged, if the repair would be easy to do at home, well it obviously won't be easy, but is it doable for a 15 year old at home? I have tools, just need an air compressor and I will be asking my neighbour and dad for help (neighbour does some work on cars and my dad does too, but not as much lol). How much do you think it would cost for parts and is the car worth it? (I have found a complete rear subframe with diff and axles and everything for $750 and a subframe without the diff and axles for $400, if I get the $400 one I think I could just use the old diff and left axle, and buy a right one for around $85). (I want the subframe because I guessed it would probably be easier to change that than to take it out, change the parts that may have been damaged)Thanks for reading!!

sorry about some of the pics :/ don't know why they're small
darn the pics aren't showing, but if you right click and copy link you can open it in a new tab.
also, sorry if this is in the wrong section, new here lol
Old 01-14-2014, 07:44 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

First let me say thanks for being a mechanically inclined 15 year old there aren't many out there these days. You will go far. I cut my teeth on a 1955 MG TF1500 at your age; an older run down car. Yes a 15 year old can tackle the task. You have found S2Ki, welcome aboard! Most if not all questions can be answered here. You will have many challenges ahead but if you get stumped feel free to PM me. I may not know the answer to a question but can point you in the right direction. Hard to estimate cost without knowing exactly what is damaged.
Utah

P.S. Guys- Gotta support a young person building an S dream car as opposed to driving one in "playtime" on Forza.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Utah S2K
First let me say thanks for being a mechanically inclined 15 year old there aren't many out there these days. You will go far. I cut my teeth on a 1955 MG TF1500 at your age; an older run down car. Yes a 15 year old can tackle the task. You have found S2Ki, welcome aboard! Most if not all questions can be answered here. You will have many challenges ahead but if you get stumped feel free to PM me. I may not know the answer to a question but can point you in the right direction.

Utah

P.S. Guys- Gotta support a young person building an S dream car as opposed to driving one in "playtime" on Forza
Thanks for the reply! I sent you a pm! From what i saw when i checked the car out, its only that one area. So from the right rear axle (like the part thats to the right of the diff) to the brake spindles.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:21 AM

5500 is too much, id stick at 4k
Old 01-15-2014, 06:10 AM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

i cannot see the pictures, while you're at it i would make sure nothing else was affected during the crash. i would check sub frame alignment. before buying a new subframe. did you get to test drive it at all? if so then was there any weird noises or handling issues.
chances are you wont need an air compressor. i have not yet needed one. a good corded electrical impact would serve you well and a nice big breaker bar. i suggest getting the service manual for the car as well.

for restoring my faith in the younger generation. i would def pm UTAH, he is very knowledgeable.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:20 AM

I'm not sure why the pictures aren't showing, but if you right click and click "open image in new tab" or "copy image URL" you can see it in another tab. And no i havent tested it, the right rear tire has been slightly hit and its bent in so i cant drive it. I will be looking at the underbody this saturday to make sure nothing is too bent out of shape.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by datbino
5500 is too much, id stick at 4k
Thanks for the input, it would be great to get it around $4000, but I made about 7 estimates lol looking at different options and if i get the car at $5000, my total invested in the car in the end would be around $5600, and that is well under market value for the car in its condition (other than the damage lol)
Old 01-15-2014, 08:29 AM

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

The body work can be a work in progress. The major cost will be replacing most of the rear subfram, control arms, shock, hub wheel bearing, axle, possible diff damage. Right there alone you are looking at around 3k-4k thats assuming the frame from the soft top is not totally bent.

Also was the front wheel impacted as well? If so you will be looking at the very least a wheel bearing.
Is the rocker panel damaged? Thats expensive and a ton of labor to cut out and replace. The cheaper you can get the car for the better because to me, looking at the pictures I see probably 5-6k in parts alone excluding labor time and supplies you will need.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Dezoris
The body work can be a work in progress. The major cost will be replacing most of the rear subfram, control arms, shock, hub wheel bearing, axle, possible diff damage. Right there alone you are looking at around 3k-4k thats assuming the frame from the soft top is not totally bent.

Also was the front wheel impacted as well? If so you will be looking at the very least a wheel bearing.
Is the rocker panel damaged? Thats expensive and a ton of labor to cut out and replace. The cheaper you can get the car for the better because to me, looking at the pictures I see probably 5-6k in parts alone excluding labor time and supplies you will need.
I am new to the S2K scene, but the car is not hit that hard, and I have found parts and have a source to get parts (a friend of mine's dad owns an importing warehouse). The front tire is not hit, just the fender has slight damage, and i don't think id have to replace the fender, but will in the long run to keep it looking good.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:34 PM

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by S2Krmzdh
Originally Posted by Dezoris' timestamp='1389806997' post='22966483

I am new to the S2K scene, but the car is not hit that hard, and I have found parts and have a source to get parts (a friend of mine's dad owns an importing warehouse). The front tire is not hit, just the fender has slight damage, and i don't think id have to replace the fender, but will in the long run to keep it looking good.

If your entire rear wheel is toed in to that level it has either snapped the LCA or bent all the the associated arms and shock in the back.
Thats a big hit. How are you sure the front wheel made no contact? Just saying from experience, a sideways hit is usually overlooked as easy but there are plenty of things to consider, be prepared for more than you think. Dealt with this on multiple cars now.

Quick Reply: Damaged, Worth repairing and easy to do?