S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Cylinder Rattle/Noise

Old 02-19-2010, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to resurrect this post. Seems I'm starting to hear a very familiar sound. Sounds like the beginning of the TCT going again. It's not very loud right now, but I've also noticed a delay (and sometimes nothing at all) in VTEC kicking in.

I have only put 5k on the car since I changed the TCT. Is it possible that it could go bad (or perhaps I got a bad part) in 5k miles?

Has anyone experienced this? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help!
-j
Old 02-19-2010, 10:14 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Is it the same sound as before?
Old 02-19-2010, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by jstar,Feb 19 2010, 11:01 AM
I'm going to resurrect this post. Seems I'm starting to hear a very familiar sound. Sounds like the beginning of the TCT going again. It's not very loud right now, but I've also noticed a delay (and sometimes nothing at all) in VTEC kicking in.

I have only put 5k on the car since I changed the TCT. Is it possible that it could go bad (or perhaps I got a bad part) in 5k miles?

Has anyone experienced this? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help!
-j
unfortunately it probably is the TCT again. A lot of people blame Mobile 1 oil. Some people never have this problem but the ones who do seems like it keeps coming back every 5-10k miles. Did you keep your old TCT? If you kept your old TCT you can sandblast the worm gear and rebuild it so you can swap it out. Thats what I have done I always have one ready to swap just in case I hear that lovely noise start to come back.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:20 AM

Received 1,401 Likes on 839 Posts

It is very possible that the design of the TCT has not changed sine your last post

It's not a bad part, it's in the design.

Find the thread about sandblasting the worm gear and you'll be good for a very long time
Old 02-19-2010, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by rob-2,Feb 19 2010, 02:14 PM
Is it the same sound as before?
It isn't as pronounced as it was before. It just seems to be much quieter this time...which is why I think I'm just catching it early? I can hear it from time to time while in the car, but I haven't taken much time to see if I can hear it while at idle with the hood up. I'll do that tomorrow.

unfortunately it probably is the TCT again. A lot of people blame Mobile 1 oil. Some people never have this problem but the ones who do seems like it keeps coming back every 5-10k miles. Did you keep your old TCT? If you kept your old TCT you can sandblast the worm gear and rebuild it so you can swap it out. Thats what I have done I always have one ready to swap just in case I hear that lovely noise start to come back.
I am running Mobil 1 in car. Have been for the last 30k miles. Strange that the two could be tied together. I do have the original TCT. I will try to find the post Billman suggested looking up and see if I can rebuild it. Seems like they should have addressed the design issue of the TCT if it's so well known?

Thanks for the replies. I'll let you know what I find.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:22 AM

Is it strange that in a pinch I put a quart of Mobil 1 5w20 in the s2k and I haven't heard the TCT noise? I only drove about 10-15mi...

Planning to do an oil change today back to the Mobil 1 10w30.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Switch from mobile 1 man. I was hearing some TCT noise my self and I was using mobile 1. I switched to royal purple about 5,000 ago and the noise has stopped or if its there its to faint to hear. I'd change oil brands before changing the TCT again. Save some money man.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:55 PM

So I'm resurrecting this post once again. Since I originally started this post (2009) I have replaced the TCT three times in my 2003 s2k (77,000+ mi on the clock). The last replacement was January 2012 (10 months ago - which is completely ridiculous).
Well the noise returned about a week ago. Figuring it was the same issue I put off fixing it till I could order one online (still waiting for delivery). I drove the car probably 50 mi or so to and from work. Two days ago I was driving home from work and started to hear a new, "knocking" sound. This is louder and more consistant sound than the standard TCT "ticking" noise. The "knocking" sound is quite worrisome since it sounds like a valve knock. I've taken a video and posted it out on youtube (sorry for the poor lighting): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHcdW0Kr4hU
The noise only appears when you give the car gas. The noise increases as the RPMs increase. It is not present at idle.

I checked the oil level in the car and it was low. I added a half quart, but no change. I made the switch from Mobile 1 to AMSOil about a year and a half ago. The car has never had a valve adjustment.
Not sure what else to do? Not sure just a TCT swap will fix it this time?
I appreciate any help!

Thanks
-j
Old 11-01-2012, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by jstar
So I'm resurrecting this post once again. Since I originally started this post (2009) I have replaced the TCT three times in my 2003 s2k (77,000+ mi on the clock). The last replacement was January 2012 (10 months ago - which is completely ridiculous).
Well the noise returned about a week ago. Figuring it was the same issue I put off fixing it till I could order one online (still waiting for delivery). I drove the car probably 50 mi or so to and from work. Two days ago I was driving home from work and started to hear a new, "knocking" sound. This is louder and more consistant sound than the standard TCT "ticking" noise. The "knocking" sound is quite worrisome since it sounds like a valve knock. I've taken a video and posted it out on youtube (sorry for the poor lighting): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHcdW0Kr4hU
The noise only appears when you give the car gas. The noise increases as the RPMs increase. It is not present at idle.

I checked the oil level in the car and it was low. I added a half quart, but no change. I made the switch from Mobile 1 to AMSOil about a year and a half ago. The car has never had a valve adjustment.
Not sure what else to do? Not sure just a TCT swap will fix it this time?
I appreciate any help!

Thanks
-j

Talked to a buddy of mine who has a shop. He saw the video and thinks it may be the Main Bearing. Anybody have any thoughts?
Thanks!
Old 11-01-2012, 12:44 PM

that sounds like a rod bearing....

Quick Reply: Cylinder Rattle/Noise