S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Cylinder Head Removed

Old 12-16-2009, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cylinder Head Removed

I finally got some time to remove the head from the Honda to try and figure out what the problem is. Now that it is off, I'm hoping to get some insight from people on this site as well as some knowledgable friends and mechanics. Then, I can put it all together and get her fixed. I took a bunch of pictures to help and posted the album to Picasa. They are nice big pics, so hope that helps. My apologizes for the long post, but I want get all the info out.

I got in my car to drive home from a day flight with a friend. I stopped at the first light and the car gave a little shake. I figured it was a little heat bog since it sat in the sun all day. However, over the next few days it kept doing it at all times. It eventually started to bog down on take off, but rev right thru it. I thought maybe bad plugs or gas, bought new plugs and added a fuel cleaner with fresh gas. About a day after that the car stopped revving thru the bog and just ran like absolute crap. It finally through a CEL, but also was completely un-drivable. I stopped at the nearest auto store and had the codes run. It was multiple misfires. They tried to figure out the issue with no luck (plugs/injectors/coils). I took it to Honda a couple days later and they tried the same things with no luck. They did a valve adjustment, no luck. They then did a compression test and discovered 50% leakage from 2 cylinders and 5% from the other 2. At this point they wanted $2000 to remove the head and see what was the matter. I told them no thanks, and discussed possible problems. Combined with some research I came to the conclusion that it was probably bent valves, cracked retainers, or other valvetrain issues. I got the S2k home and stored in the garage until I had time for it.

So, here we are, months later, head is off and parts are all over my garage. Problem is, I don't know what a problem will look like, or, what, if any, are some visible signs. I took pictures of the cam shafts/gears/etc, cylinder head/springs/retainers/etc, and the intake manifold. If you have any insight for me it is much appreciated. If you have some questions, I will do my best to answer them.

Thanks,
Matt

All Pictures:
Album

Select Pictures:

Old 12-16-2009, 02:51 PM

is that water on your pistons? it looks like you blew your headgasket.. none of your valves look bent as they are all sealed up. I would clean up the pistons and might take the head in to get it checked cleaned. could replace the retainers while your at it along with valve seals and what not you should be good. to go after that with a new headgasket kit. get the kit it has all the valve seals and other stuff.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:05 PM

If I had blown the head gasket I would assume my coolant and oil would have mixed? I saw none of that, coolant looks like bright green kool-aid and oil is nice and dark, no milkyness.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not necessarily. If it blows between 2 cylinders, like from cyl to cyl, then there will be no coolant/oil mixing together. Just poor compression.

It's possible that the head had some oil getting inside the cylinders and the excessive carbon buildup caused poor seal of valves. Clean up the head, and replace the retainers on the intake side (yellow springs). I had 4 cracked!!! I found them this past weekend, it was insane, one was cracked so bad, it was already staring to warp! Saved my engine.

Also, check the block deck and the head for warping.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:33 PM

looks like your coolant was getting into the combustion chamber. and water doesn't like the car run well. that is y it was a hic-up at first cause in higher rpm it will evorporate the water but the worse it got the harder it was for it to do.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:08 PM
Former Moderator

Received 348 Likes on 318 Posts

If you take a cylinder head off any engine coolant gets in the cylinder. It is not a indication the head gasket is blown, just that you took it apart.

Take some macro pics of the headgasket between each cylinder, that will show if the gasket was leaking.

If you remove the valves from the head you will be able to see if they are bent or the valve seats are burned. The pics don't show anything definite.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:32 PM

Is the build up on the cylinder heads normal, or an indication of burning oil/coolant? Your comment on the head gasket could be correct as the compression test showed 25% on 2 and 3 but only 5% on 1 and 4. If I take the head to Honda/shop would they be able to easily tell if the valves were a problem or not? Also, what does it require to clean up the cylinder heads?
Old 12-16-2009, 05:54 PM
Former Moderator

Received 348 Likes on 318 Posts

The carbon on the cylinder head is normal. If you have a reputable machine shop they can disassemble, clean and check for bent valves and grind new valve seats.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:47 PM

Well that would be a nice surprise if it is just the head gasket. I was figuring all new valvetrain components or worse, piston rings...
Old 12-16-2009, 08:47 PM

compression test doesnt show leakage....did tehy do a leak down test? if so was the air coming out the intake manifold/exhaust or the oil cap? oil cap is rings. IM/EX manifold is valves

Quick Reply: Cylinder Head Removed